BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if Performance Friction makes a pad for the E39 M5? Have the brakes previously been used on any other BMW model? I called Performance Friction and they didn't even know. They wanted a traced faxed outline of the pads to see if they have anything that matched.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Performance Friction Pads?

Anybody know if PF makes pads for the E39 M5? Their on line catalog just says they have the rears. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Does anybody know if Performance Friction makes a pad for the E39 M5? Have the brakes previously been used on any other BMW model? I called Performance Friction and they didn't even know. They wanted a traced faxed outline of the pads to see if they have anything that matched.
They are morons. A 10 minute search on the internet would show them the E39 M5 uses an industry-recognized 681 front pad configuration. They obviously don't support the application, so don't waste your time. PF supports a limited number of apps. They are getting blown off the map by newer competitors that cover a wider selection of vehicles.

To answer your question...YES. The E39 M5 uses the same front pad as my E39 540i, as original equipment. The 540i rotors are smaller, but the same pad is used. I believe BMW also used that pad "form factor" on certain E38 7 series cars.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
To answer your question...YES. The E39 M5 uses the same front pad as my E39 540i, as original equipment. The 540i rotors are smaller, but the same pad is used. I believe BMW also used that pad "form factor" on certain E38 7 series cars.
The D681 shape is also used on the E53 X5 3.0i and 4.4i.

PFC does NOT make any track pads for the front of the M5. The PFC01 is a fantastic race pad, but the best we can get for these cars is the Hawk HT-10.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the input

Great board,

The folks in the know chime in right away. I'm thankful for your input. Dave, I sent you a long email on my thoughts for upgrades for brakes (probably too long, sorry).

:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts