BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is no doubt that perforated leather is very desirable. Will it be available as part of the standard interior (or as part of the "climate leather" ventilated seat option) or will one have to choose an Individual package in order to get it?:rolleyes:

Best regards,

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Gustav said:
I beleive it is only avail. with the ventilated seats.
If one wanted the ventilated seats in any event, would there be any advantage in ordering the leather interior with "Individual perforation" as part of one of the Individual packages? I would think not unless one wanted a colour that was not otherwise available in the standard leather interior palette (i.e. black, silverstone or light sepang bronze or, at extra cost, indianapolis red or portland natural brown) or if one wanted the full leather option (but perhaps full leather is available outside the Individual program - does anyone know?).

Best regards,

Spiroman

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not sure about the colours, but the perferated leather is only available with the full leather option. So to get perferated leather you will have to pay for the full leather and seat ventilation options.

Check out the Individual web site to see if they have other coulours available with the perferated option. I'm sure the configurator is set up for perferated leather and ventalation.

Hope this helps
Sacha...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you chose one of the Individual packages, could you get perforated leather without having to order the ventilated seats? I assume that you could.

Best regards,

Spiroman

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I hope I can clarify matters.

Perforated leather is not a standard item.

Perforated leather is available only with the optional ventilated seats. If you want perforated leather you must also specify full leather (rip-off!).

Full leather is available in a number of shades which include some standard colours (e.g. black, silver) and some Individual colours (e.g. platinum, ecru).

Almost all the full leather colours are available in perforated or non-perforated varieties.

Personally, I'm not convinced by the ventilated & perforated seats. I've driven an S-class with these fitted and it was total overkill. The a/c system is more than good enough on most modern cars.

Can you imagine what a pain they are to clean or repair... by the way did I mention coke & ice cream?! ouich

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ashok - correct me if I'm wrong: you can order perforated leather in the Individual program without having to order the ventilated seats. I saw no such restriction in the Individual brochure that you kindly reproduced for us several weeks ago.

Best regards,

Spiroman

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Probably - with Individual you can get pretty much anything as long as you're willing to pay for it.

Like Homer said, however, why get the perforated leather if you don't want ventilation; you get none of the benefit with all the hassle :(

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Probably - with Individual you can get pretty much anything as long as you're willing to pay for it.

Like Homer said, however, why get the perforated leather if you don't want ventilation; you get none of the benefit with all the hassle :(
I saw an E55 the other day in Toronto - Black exterior with perforated platinum leather interior - and I must say it was absolutely gorgeous! I think regardless of function there is an argument for the look of perforated alone.

This sighting has made me seriously consider the lighter coloured interiors (I've been a black/black guy forever). Now I just need to nail down the exterior (Carbon Black, Interlagos, or Onyx...) oh, and I need to train the two year old twins to eat ice cream very carefully (or STAY IN THE SUV!!) :byee55amg

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I remember when VW, Porsche, and Audi had perforated leather seats (60s and 70s) long before there was any optional powered ventilation system in the seats. They are supposed to be more breathable and more comfortable. I couldn't tell you if this was true. It seems most leather is not perforated these days.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Can someone put some links to show pictures of these seats?

I imagine they're like pores on your own skin, they can get clogged up and difficult to clean. I don't think they actually look that good, and function wise I'm not sure what big benefits they bring. The hated the ones in the Benz models.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
M6 Forever said:

I imagine they're like pores on your own skin, they can get clogged up and difficult to clean. I don't think they actually look that good, and function wise I'm not sure what big benefits they bring. The hated the ones in the Benz models.
The 760 comes standard with the perforated leather cooling seats. Here is a link. Of course, I doubt if the seats are the same model. You are correct that leather conditioner and other stuff clogs the pores. Have your toothpicks ready. I think I'll get them anyway.

760 Gallery

·
Registered
816 Posts
Digi said:
The 760 comes standard with the perforated leather cooling seats.
Thanks. I had a check, and it seems they vary by country. The brochure here says the active seat ventilation are optional in all ranges of the 7 series. Just one of those things which either you like them or not. I doubt I'll get them (I'm getting the M6). Looks better as smooth leather and the a/c should be good enough for a medium/large sedan/coupe. From an aesthetics viewpoint, they can look dated. It was popular in old model luxury cars back in the 70's, 80's, especially the Benz.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
When the C4 Corvette came on the scene, it had perforated leather seats. They are NOT very popular, mainly because they do not wear very well and soon begin to look ratty. If you think about it, that makes sense. How long would you expect your current M5 seats to last if you poked a bazillion holes in the leather?

I like the look and feel of perforated leather when they are factory fresh, however.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
M6 Forever said:
Here's a photo from Paris of ventilated seats in the M5:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Here's a photo from Paris of ventilated seats in the M5:
Thanks. As you've said, there's not much point in getting these if one is not even requesting for the active ventilation option. I think it looks better using smooth leather.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I had the perf & ventilated seats in a 7 a few years ago and I can tell you 2 things:

1- if you have kids/pets and you dont need the perf, dont get it- its much easier to damage/tear

2- the ventilation option is subtle but, if you are like me and hot all the time, its useful. I would have preferred a more dramatic air flow setting than they offered, but I did find it somewhat useful (say 7/10).

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
We have the perforated and active ventilated seats in our S class. From the looks standpoint they are very nice never mind comfortable. I do question how well they will wear over time, fortunately no cleaning crew has been needed yet - as Mark540iMSport suggests, picnics are held in the SUV. :blink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts