BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a list of performance Mods that won't void the "No Cost ownership Warranty" on my E60?

·
Registered
116 Posts
No such thing....Only thing you can count on is how friendly your dealers service department will be. Dont listen to people when they say the dealer has to "prove" aftermarket items affected problems or issues. I've been through a lot of different issues. From where a dealer let me bring back the OEM part and switched it out so it could be covered under warranty and I have seen my warranty void when my motor blew because the offset of the "aftermarket wheels" were different.

sidemarker

·
Registered
550 Posts
No such thing....Only thing you can count on is how friendly your dealers service department will be. Dont listen to people when they say the dealer has to "prove" aftermarket items affected problems or issues. I've been through a lot of different issues. From where a dealer let me bring back the OEM part and switched it out so it could be covered under warranty and I have seen my warranty void when my motor blew because the offset of the "aftermarket wheels" were different.

sidemarker
What????? Your motor blew and the dealer used the offset of your aftermarket wheels as the reason for the difference? Did they ever explain how the offset caused the motor to blow? You could have sued using Magnuson Moss.....but it would have cost ya..

·
Registered
531 Posts

sidemarker
would love to hear more of this one

·
Registered
3,263 Posts

sidemarker
That is one wild arse story. I too would want to read the details of how this came to be the explanation.

I will say that it does come down to your relationship with thw dealer but still there's the company rep that okays any major job.
I went thru this with Porsche. Champion Motorsport is a part of the Champion regular dealer. The do all R&D for hi-perf. applications and builds. They set up my GT3RS for tracking (work in progress) and when the rear main seals went I guess from running the piss out of the RS on tracks Motorsport was going to cover it under warranty. Simple item but big labor job. Well when the Porsche rep came to sign off on the job he said no deal due to the heavily modded set up. The race headers caused increase pressure and yada yada yada.
So Motorsport put the RS back to stock for me at zero labor costs and the RMS were fixed. Zero charge. A 3 day job took 17 days but again it's your relationship bottomline for them to work with you.

btw for all the motorsport enthusiasts I will post soon some new goodies. Trick as all hell. :blink:

Ranger

·
Registered
116 Posts
What????? Your motor blew and the dealer used the offset of your aftermarket wheels as the reason for the difference? Did they ever explain how the offset caused the motor to blow? You could have sued using Magnuson Moss.....but it would have cost ya..

Yep i quoted that verbally and in a letter but the fine print in the warranty coverage aggrement wins. Make sure you guys read the details in the warranty. Pretty much if you alter the vehicle in any way the manufacture/extended warranty can be null and void.

Bottom line. It depends on who you deal with. Some SA will go the extra mile to make sure you are covered even if you mess up the parts, and sometimes a dick of an adjuster will just use anything in their book to get off not paying for coverage.

The issue with the vehicle. 02 acura cl-s with i/h/e wheels and suspension work, driving home one day and engine stalls. Try to start but the motor does not turn but has a weird noise when trying to start. Thought maybe coils or timing belt. Turns out it was a hole in one of the pistons. Told me that warranty was void because of the different size wheels and offset. I knew they wanted to pin it on the bolt ons but it would be hard for them to prove so they went with the most convenient way, use another mod to negate everything else. They wanted to charge me 5500 but after many long hours talking with a lawyer and Service manager just settled with a 1500 bill for a used motor. Made me realize that dont be fooled by anyone telling you your warranty is good with simple bolt ons. If you decide to play prepare to pay if something happens...

sidemarker

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yep i quoted that verbally and in a letter but the fine print in the warranty coverage aggrement wins. Make sure you guys read the details in the warranty. Pretty much if you alter the vehicle in any way the manufacture/extended warranty can be null and void.

Bottom line. It depends on who you deal with. Some SA will go the extra mile to make sure you are covered even if you mess up the parts, and sometimes a dick of an adjuster will just use anything in their book to get off not paying for coverage.

The issue with the vehicle. 02 acura cl-s with i/h/e wheels and suspension work, driving home one day and engine stalls. Try to start but the motor does not turn but has a weird noise when trying to start. Thought maybe coils or timing belt. Turns out it was a hole in one of the pistons. Told me that warranty was void because of the different size wheels and offset. I knew they wanted to pin it on the bolt ons but it would be hard for them to prove so they went with the most convenient way, use another mod to negate everything else. They wanted to charge me 5500 but after many long hours talking with a lawyer and Service manager just settled with a 1500 bill for a used motor. Made me realize that dont be fooled by anyone telling you your warranty is good with simple bolt ons. If you decide to play prepare to pay if something happens...

sidemarker
Intake/exhaust would have been easier to prove I would think, how were those not mods but wheels were? :eek7:

The cost to sue for that small amount wouldn't have been worth it. Even though it's in fine print, doesn't mean it's legal to void your warranty without proof.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts