BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just thought I would share my experiences/opinions on the Pedal Haus E6X SMG Aluminum Clear + Engraved Pedals that I recently purchased.

About a week ago, I had ordered a set of $50 ebay "M Performance" aluminum pedals from China. When the pedals arrived, I was very disappointed with both the quality of the materials used, as well as the fitment of the pedals themselves. So I began searching around for a quality replacement and came across the company "Pedal Haus" which used to be known as BMWPedals.

On the website under the E60 category, Pedal Haus offers four different "types" of pedals (as well as other CNC aluminum goodies); black anodized aluminum, black anodized aluminum with engraving, clear anodized aluminum, and clear anodized aluminum with engraving (for both auto, manual and SMG). The pedals are priced at either $149.99 (for a non-engraved set) or $169.99 (for an engraved set). Although I felt $169.99 was pretty steep for an aluminum pedal set, I was frustrated with the poor quality of the ebay pedals and ordered the E6X SMG Clear + Engraving pedal set. Two days after placing my order, I received the pedals in the mail and set about installing them as well as documenting the process.

Inside the box, I found all three pedals neatly packaged together, as well a baggie with the mounting hardware, a drilling template, a zip tie and two business cards.

Upon further examination, I immediately noticed a significant difference in the materials, workmanship, and overall quality in comparison to the ebay set.

In addition to the quality differences there were also some subtle differences in the dimensions, design and mounting procedures. Dimension and design wise, the Pedal Haus pedals were slightly bigger than OEM and also followed the OEM angles with greater accuracy, while the ebay pedals were around the same size as OEM but with very different angles.

Mounting wise, the Pedal Haus pedals use three different methods for the different mounting locations. The foot rest uses 3M double sided tape and is mounted directly to the OEM plate, thus leaving the plate undamaged. Much like the ebay kit, the brake pedal requires you to drill hols and uses bolts, washers and lock nuts to secure the plate to the brake itself. For the accelerator, self tapping/drilling screws are used to secure the plate to the plastic. [Sorry, no picture]

Now onto the actual installation. I began with the foot rest as this was the biggest (and what I felt was the easiest) plate to install. First I used some Stoners Invisible Glass, a microfiber towel and an alcohol prep swap to clean the OEM foot rest. Once the foot rest had been wiped clean, I peeled off the double sided tape backing, slid the top of the plate under the kick panel overhang and positioned the plate parallel to the plastic piece that faces the brake pedal. The pedal is bigger than the original foot rest so there are little to no gaps on the top or bottom. Once I had secured the foot rest I moved onto the brake pedal.

Unlike any of the other aftermarket pedal manufacturers that I came across, Pedal Haus includes a nifty metal drill template to help you with the installation process. The template is zip tied directly over the bare brake pedal itself, and has built in top and right side fences for more accurate positioning. Once the template is zip tied in place, you can mark the holes (I would recommend using a starter punch) and drill them out, one by one, using an 11/64th metal drill bit. Greater accuracy can also be achieved by placing the bolts in the holes as you drill them.

After the holes had been drilled, I removed the template, and bolted the brake pedal into place. I found that it was easiest to start with the top left hole (as there may be some interference with the shaft of the pedal itself) and then work your way clockwise. The lock nuts require a 9mm wrench for tightening. If some of the holes are off by a few millimeters, you may need to widen the holes in order to center the bolt heads in the holes of the aluminum pedal plate. Do not be alarmed if the plate looks a little lopsided or is not parallel to the other plates as the foot rest and accelerator are angled outwards.

Finally, I grabbed the accelerator pedal plate, and positioned it on top of the plastic OEM pedal. The Pedal Haus pedal is a couple millimeters larger than the OEM pedal so you have a little bit of customization as to where you want to position the new plate. I chose to mount the pedal flush with the right side of the OEM pedal. Once you have found a suitable location, you can begin screwing it in using the self tapping screws. To make things a bit easier, I would recommend using masking tape to hold the plate in place.

And that wraps it up! Now you can enjoy your beast knowing you have some quality pedals under foot.

Review time. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the quality, fit, and finish of these pedals, especially in comparison to the ebay ones. The installation was very straight forward and an easy project for anyone to tackle. I loved the idea of including a drilling template with the pedals and was very happy with how the install came out. Underfoot, these pedals feel a lot better compared to the original rubber ones, and make the driving experience that much more enjoyable.

However there are a few things that I think could be improved. First of all, the package did not include any instructions. I understand that there are guides on the Pedal Haus website and its a pretty basic project, but its also not that hard to include a one page piece of paper with written and illustrated instructions. Secondly, although the drilling template allowed me to accurately space the holes for the bolts, I ran into interference issues with the brake pedal shaft which required me to make that hole a lot bigger than the rest to accommodate the room needed for the nut to screw on. This issue could be solved by shifting the right side fence a few millimeters to the right.

In conclusion I would give these pedals 4.5 out of 5 stars and would definitely recommend them to anyone who is looking for a high quality, durable, and cosmetically pleasing aftermarket pedal set. The installation was a breeze (30 minutes) and I am very happy with the results as well as my purchase. :cheers:

Before/after shots:

Reactions: BadSeed and AWOL

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Looks good! I've been thinking about doing the pedal upgrade myself and I was leaning towers the Dinan pedals. I might have to reconsider these again. I could care less for the dead pedal. Nice to know the screws for the accelerator are self tapping so you don't have to remove the whole assembly to install. I know the lower right hand screw is really tricky on the traditional aluminum pedals with nut and screws.

How is the grip on the new pedals? Is there a chance for them to be slippery if your shoes are wet?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks good! I've been thinking about doing the pedal upgrade myself and I was leaning towers the Dinan pedals. I might have to reconsider these again. I could care less for the dead pedal. Nice to know the screws for the accelerator are self tapping so you don't have to remove the whole assembly to install. I know the lower right hand screw is really tricky on the traditional aluminum pedals with nut and screws.

How is the grip on the new pedals? Is there a chance for them to be slippery if your shoes are wet?
I would definitely consider these pedals over any pedal that uses rubber grips. I have found that if I have any sort of fluid on my shoes, there is a tendency for my foot to slip on the rubber bits. Since these are an all aluminum design and the grip "bumps" do not have beveled edges, there is far superior traction.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I would definitely consider these pedals over any pedal that uses rubber grips. I have found that if I have any sort of fluid on my shoes, there is a tendency for my foot to slip on the rubber bits. Since these are an all aluminum design and the grip "bumps" do not have beveled edges, there is far superior traction.
On ok cool. Now to decide what color.... :3:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
631 Posts
My biggest concern with these kind of pedals is do they look tacked onto the stock pedals? Like can you still see the stock pedals behind the metal plates? I really like the look of these but I'm afraid that from the side it'll be easy to tell they're just bolted over the stock plastic pedals.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My biggest concern with these kind of pedals is do they look tacked onto the stock pedals? Like can you still see the stock pedals behind the metal plates? I really like the look of these but I'm afraid that from the side it'll be easy to tell they're just bolted over the stock plastic pedals.
I was also concerned with this, however these pedals are larger than the ebay pedals so they stick out far enough that you can not really see the stock pedals unless you stick your head under the dash. My one pet peeve is that you can see through the holes of the foot rest and see the OEM plate behind it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I decided on black I think it looks cleaner especially with the nubs being silver. I'll probably order at the end of this upcoming week.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided on black I think it looks cleaner especially with the nubs being silver. I'll probably order at the end of this upcoming week.
Awesome! Post pics after you finish installing them!

·
Registered
690 Posts
No offense to the OP, but I kinda dig my ebay pedals:

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No offense to the OP, but I kinda dig my ebay pedals:
Those look great! I guess I was just unlucky and ordered from the wrong ebay store. They looked like crap :Thumbdown:

Reactions: DocsV10

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Which screw on the brake pedal are you referring to that gave you trouble? Also, do the self tapping screws for the accelerator pedal do they go all the way through the pedal itself and come out the back side?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which screw on the brake pedal are you referring to that gave you trouble? Also, do the self tapping screws for the accelerator pedal do they go all the way through the pedal itself and come out the back side?
Top left. The closest one to the brake pedal connecting rod/shaft.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Top left. The closest one to the brake pedal connecting rod/shaft.
Thanks! Just wanted to prepare for install. What about the screws for the accelerator? ^

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Just wanted to prepare for install. What about the screws for the accelerator? ^
The accelerator screws should have zero clearance issues! Post pictures when you finish the instal!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Ordered mine through European Auto Source earlier today I saved a pretty good amount on the price difference. Pedal Haus's PayPal shopping cart quoted me $18 for shipping!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ordered mine through European Auto Source earlier today I saved a pretty good amount on the price difference. Pedal Haus's PayPal shopping cart quoted me $18 for shipping!
Awesome! Hope all goes well with the instal!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey OP,

Thanks for the thread. Very cool review with lots of pics!

I think alot of board members out there have been looking for quality-made pedals, and aside from Dinan, or finding just the right company on eBay (e.g. DocsV10 pedals), it is hit-or-miss on the qaulity.

Again, thanks for posting the great review, and happy modding.

Best,

Reactions: DocsV10

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Installed mine earlier today pic taken right after install excuse the no vacuum and missing floor mat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hey guys, I just thought I would share my experiences/opinions on the Pedal Haus E6X SMG Aluminum Clear + Engraved Pedals that I recently purchased.

About a week ago, I had ordered a set of $50 ebay "M Performance" aluminum pedals from China. When the pedals arrived, I was very disappointed with both the quality of the materials used, as well as the fitment of the pedals themselves. So I began searching around for a quality replacement and came across the company "Pedal Haus" which used to be known as BMWPedals.

On the website under the E60 category, Pedal Haus offers four different "types" of pedals (as well as other CNC aluminum goodies); black anodized aluminum, black anodized aluminum with engraving, clear anodized aluminum, and clear anodized aluminum with engraving (for both auto, manual and SMG). The pedals are priced at either $149.99 (for a non-engraved set) or $169.99 (for an engraved set). Although I felt $169.99 was pretty steep for an aluminum pedal set, I was frustrated with the poor quality of the ebay pedals and ordered the E6X SMG Clear + Engraving pedal set. Two days after placing my order, I received the pedals in the mail and set about installing them as well as documenting the process.

Inside the box, I found all three pedals neatly packaged together, as well a baggie with the mounting hardware, a drilling template, a zip tie and two business cards.

Upon further examination, I immediately noticed a significant difference in the materials, workmanship, and overall quality in comparison to the ebay set.

In addition to the quality differences there were also some subtle differences in the dimensions, design and mounting procedures. Dimension and design wise, the Pedal Haus pedals were slightly bigger than OEM and also followed the OEM angles with greater accuracy, while the ebay pedals were around the same size as OEM but with very different angles.

Mounting wise, the Pedal Haus pedals use three different methods for the different mounting locations. The foot rest uses 3M double sided tape and is mounted directly to the OEM plate, thus leaving the plate undamaged. Much like the ebay kit, the brake pedal requires you to drill hols and uses bolts, washers and lock nuts to secure the plate to the brake itself. For the accelerator, self tapping/drilling screws are used to secure the plate to the plastic. [Sorry, no picture]

Now onto the actual installation. I began with the foot rest as this was the biggest (and what I felt was the easiest) plate to install. First I used some Stoners Invisible Glass, a microfiber towel and an alcohol prep swap to clean the OEM foot rest. Once the foot rest had been wiped clean, I peeled off the double sided tape backing, slid the top of the plate under the kick panel overhang and positioned the plate parallel to the plastic piece that faces the brake pedal. The pedal is bigger than the original foot rest so there are little to no gaps on the top or bottom. Once I had secured the foot rest I moved onto the brake pedal.

Unlike any of the other aftermarket pedal manufacturers that I came across, Pedal Haus includes a nifty metal drill template to help you with the installation process. The template is zip tied directly over the bare brake pedal itself, and has built in top and right side fences for more accurate positioning. Once the template is zip tied in place, you can mark the holes (I would recommend using a starter punch) and drill them out, one by one, using an 11/64th metal drill bit. Greater accuracy can also be achieved by placing the bolts in the holes as you drill them.

After the holes had been drilled, I removed the template, and bolted the brake pedal into place. I found that it was easiest to start with the top left hole (as there may be some interference with the shaft of the pedal itself) and then work your way clockwise. The lock nuts require a 9mm wrench for tightening. If some of the holes are off by a few millimeters, you may need to widen the holes in order to center the bolt heads in the holes of the aluminum pedal plate. Do not be alarmed if the plate looks a little lopsided or is not parallel to the other plates as the foot rest and accelerator are angled outwards.

Finally, I grabbed the accelerator pedal plate, and positioned it on top of the plastic OEM pedal. The Pedal Haus pedal is a couple millimeters larger than the OEM pedal so you have a little bit of customization as to where you want to position the new plate. I chose to mount the pedal flush with the right side of the OEM pedal. Once you have found a suitable location, you can begin screwing it in using the self tapping screws. To make things a bit easier, I would recommend using masking tape to hold the plate in place.

And that wraps it up! Now you can enjoy your beast knowing you have some quality pedals under foot.

Review time. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the quality, fit, and finish of these pedals, especially in comparison to the ebay ones. The installation was very straight forward and an easy project for anyone to tackle. I loved the idea of including a drilling template with the pedals and was very happy with how the install came out. Underfoot, these pedals feel a lot better compared to the original rubber ones, and make the driving experience that much more enjoyable.

However there are a few things that I think could be improved. First of all, the package did not include any instructions. I understand that there are guides on the Pedal Haus website and its a pretty basic project, but its also not that hard to include a one page piece of paper with written and illustrated instructions. Secondly, although the drilling template allowed me to accurately space the holes for the bolts, I ran into interference issues with the brake pedal shaft which required me to make that hole a lot bigger than the rest to accommodate the room needed for the nut to screw on. This issue could be solved by shifting the right side fence a few millimeters to the right.

In conclusion I would give these pedals 4.5 out of 5 stars and would definitely recommend them to anyone who is looking for a high quality, durable, and cosmetically pleasing aftermarket pedal set. The installation was a breeze (30 minutes) and I am very happy with the results as well as my purchase. :cheers:

Before/after shots:

I have the same pedals too. Love them. Saw them on a M5 at my shop a while back and right away was like "oh I gotta have these now!". The grip and look is outstanding. I got mine in black. They also do a kick plate of the same material but I thought personally that would make it look too busy and be tacky.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts