BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My silver interior is peeling. Last month i noticed the shifter starting to peel, so I took it to the dealer and they replaced it. This month I see a slight peel mark on the ashtray cover. Does anybody seem to have this problem? The dealer asked me if I cleaned it with anything unusual and the answer to that is definately not. Then he asked if I had been touching anything out of the ordinary, I told him that besides the exception of that pure hydrocloric acid I was washing my hands with the other day i dont think so ?! Anyway, anybody have any input on this, is there something i could be doing wrong?

thanks
faisal

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Faisal,
Other owners have been having that problem too (apparently on the older cars). I have an older oen with aluminum trim, but don't suffer from it. Do you constantly rub a ring finger against the ashtray? That ones a bit unusual, but the shifter as been discussed before. Your dealer should simply replace it as they did.

--Dan

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dan,
Thanks for your reply. I dont have a ring on my right hand which i am shifting with, and I dont recollect any type of scraping happening to the ashtray. Its not a scraping that this looks like Dan, Actually it first bubbles, then slowly peels off because i was touching the shifter. As you said they did replace the shifter, but I just feel upset to see this happening to such a perfect car. Thanks again for the info.
faisal

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. The plastic aluminum trim isn't durable. It's made of a base of plastic, covered with a thin layer of shiny aluminum, covered with a thin translucent layer of plastic that gives it the "brushed" look. The problem is the plastic layer on top peels and tears and shows the shiny underneath.

I replaced mine with carbon fiber trim from Bekker's Imports. Much nicer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My december 99 built m5 has had several parts that have required replacing. The gear shift knob , brake lever handle,and the trim around the navigation system. The pealing has been around the wear areas such as around the areas that are touched the most. The replacement parts seem to have a much duller and smoke color than the old ones. I wonder if BMW has not changed the finish to make it more durable. If mine peals again I am going to be talking to BMW about replacing the interior trim pieces with the wood finish. I would hate to do that especially when I like the titanium look...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the '01 330ci from the outside for the first time a couple of weeks back, and noticed it had the same titanium look interior. I wonder if it is of the same grade alumo-plastic as in the beast? Because if it is I would imagine BMW would have quite an issue on their hands considering that the 3 series is sold in much larger quantities then the M5. It is a shame because i really liked the titanium look, even if it didnt look of the highest quality.

fas

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I can tell you that the plastic silver interior that we all know as the sport interior is plan and simple JUNK. I have a 5/00 build and they have not fixed the problem. The very first day the emergency cover handle broke. When it came off I noticed that the plastic piece(for this kind of money you would think they could come up with a better material) was already peeling and only one day from delivery. It took two months to get the replacement.

My shifter looks like it has been in a car for 15 years. I have another on order, but wonder if that will be any better.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and the look, but I have to confess that Toyota has BMW beat hands down when it comes to the material used for this type of interior trim.

Sorry guys, but the truth is the truth.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
AMEN! This plastic stuff stinks. You aftermarket guys listening? I want "real" aluminum trim. Not Carbon fibre(fake), wood, or some other! All these companies putting out brushed aluminum should be able to come up with something that looks as good as mine did on the first day (and hasn't since).
Mark

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by MAH:
I can tell you that the plastic silver interior that we all know as the sport interior is plan and simple JUNK. I have a 5/00 build and they have not fixed the problem. The very first day the emergency cover handle broke. When it came off I noticed that the plastic piece(for this kind of money you would think they could come up with a better material) was already peeling and only one day from delivery. It took two months to get the replacement.

My shifter looks like it has been in a car for 15 years. I have another on order, but wonder if that will be any better.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and the look, but I have to confess that Toyota has BMW beat hands down when it comes to the material used for this type of interior trim.

Sorry guys, but the truth is the truth.
I agree. On the new Ferrari Modena the aluminum trim is REAL aluminum..not some plastic fake aluminum. BMW should retrofit all of its M-5s with real aluminum trim..

------------------

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Mark and Parkerfe,

Well now that we all agree, please let me know when and where we can get real aluminum for our cars. We need to place a bulk order, because there are only two kinds of sportive owners out there, those who's plastic trim has flaked and those whose plastic trim will flake.

I am sure there would be a market for this product(are you listening BMW?!). Eventually everyone will need it.

Flake on,

Mark

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a department we could call to place a complaint about this with BMW? I would like to hear their thoughts on the matter, and what they would be willing to do, because there is undoubtably a major flaw with this interior, it seems like many people have the same problem? If anybody has any info on where to call or who to address the problem to, i would be happy to convey everybodies thoughts on this.

faisal

·
Registered
112 Posts
Let's join forces and hunt for some autoshop that makes real aluminum trim out there and place a group order and get a good deal on REAL aluminum trims.

Sounds good?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
All of those with this interior option should get together and post your complaints and then approach BMW of North America as a unit. Don't waste you time with local dealers. I also find well written letters that are factual and not arrogant or inflamatory work best. The facts drive them crazy. You don't have to mention law suits because with a group that's implied. Give them a chance to solve the problem themselves. That stuff can be replaced with other materials fairly easily. Although you will have to consider wood as an alternative. I wouldn't be suprised if they were already examining how extensive this problem is.

Good luck. I like that look and its growing in popularity in other cars. Hopefully you can get it fixed and keep the look.

------------------
Jim
00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
121 Posts
Count me in on the group order on real aluminum trim. The flaking plastic trim is embarrassing, and I'm not sure I like the carbon fiber look.

Marc

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about we make a disscusion titled something like 'ALL PEELING SPORTIVE INTEREIORS ENTER HERE' and maybe get some sort of info(i dont really know what) that we could then take to BMW and show how the problem is not just specific to one person. I know whenever i go to my dealer and show him he scratches his head in complete amazement as if he has never seen it before and I MUST be the only one with this problem, and it is very irratating. The other day I tried to explain to the service guy that I heard a oil pump issue has been looked at with the M5's and he told me that this is untrue, and that all the M5's that have been bought through the dealership (Prestige BMW, Mahwah NJ) have never even reported a problem like that and if there was such a problem they would have a recall. I thought I would save my breath on the VANOS problem. Anyway sorry to get off the point, but maybe if a moderator reads this does he/she think maybe we could do something more? any suggestions on how to put this together?

thanks
fas

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by MarcK:
Count me in on the group order on real aluminum trim. The flaking plastic trim is embarrassing, and I'm not sure I like the carbon fiber look.

Marc
Does anyone in Europe experience this?

/Johan

1 - 20 of 61 Posts