BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Just received my Peake Research Tool - real easy to use and worked straight out of the box :)

Just curious - I have two faults (have no idea when they were last reset) - AE and AF, which are "Air/fuel Adaptation Cyl #1-4" and "Air/fuel Adaptation Cyl #5-8" respectively. The car seems to be running fine - is this anything I should worry about or just leave it pending the next inspection (which is probably a long way away).

Regards,

Gary.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
grp said:
Folks,

Just received my Peake Research Tool - real easy to use and worked straight out of the box :)
Curious - how do you use the tool, i.e. where does it plug in, how does it work?

Thanks!

·
10,458 Posts
Ronin M5 said:
Curious - how do you use the tool, i.e. where does it plug in, how does it work?

Thanks!
On my 00, i plug it in to the round diagnostic port over by the intensive wash reservoir. Instructions and a table that lists what the codes mean are included. Essentially, you plug it in, turn the key to the 'on' position and press a button. You can clear the codes, reset the ses light and reset the oilservice/inspection light too.
Mine came with an adapter cable to plug into the obd2 port under the dash, but i've not tried it there yet.
Mike

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
I think it is either the O2 sensors or the MAF sensors. If the engine feels strong it si probably not the MAFs.

If you connect the tool to the OBD-II port insice the passenger compartment, and then (assuming the toll can do this too) check the
"Load Factor" measurement as you accelerate WOT in high gear from slow speed, and in low gear (2nd) to RPM limit.

If the reading is 100% at WOT (wide open throttle) the engine has air-flow as designed. if you get a lower reading you can suspect contamination of the MAFs (mass airflow meters).

David

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this David. I don't think I have the advanced version of the tool and there is no round 20 pin socket in the glove box.

I've seen some fairly accurate procedures on MAF cleaning floating around so may give that a go as preventative maintenance in any case.

The engine does feel strong but, before this car, I had a chipped 944 Turbo which felt much, much quicker (lighter but 40% less hp) so until I drive another M5 or two (or put it on a dyno), I'm not really going to know....

Regards,

Gary.

DavidS said:
I think it is either the O2 sensors or the MAF sensors. If the engine feels strong it si probably not the MAFs.

If you connect the tool to the OBD-II port insice the passenger compartment, and then (assuming the toll can do this too) check the
"Load Factor" measurement as you accelerate WOT in high gear from slow speed, and in low gear (2nd) to RPM limit.

If the reading is 100% at WOT (wide open throttle) the engine has air-flow as designed. if you get a lower reading you can suspect contamination of the MAFs (mass airflow meters).

David

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
grp said:
Thanks for this David. I don't think I have the advanced version of the tool and there is no round 20 pin socket in the glove box.

Regards,

Gary.
On my U.S. spec car, the OBD2 port is right above the drivers knee (LHD) version, not glove box. Not sure if yours is the same, but you might want to check.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
grp said:

I've seen some fairly accurate procedures on MAF cleaning floating around so may give that a go as preventative maintenance in any case.

The engine does feel strong but, before this car, I had a chipped 944 Turbo which felt much, much quicker (lighter but 40% less hp) so until I drive another M5 or two (or put it on a dyno), I'm not really going to know....

Regards,

Gary.
On a LHD the ODB-II connector is by the left front door, under the dashboard, behind a tiny lid that swings open vertically. The lid is located in a small recess forming a tiny parcel-shelf.

The connector itself looks a bit lika a SCART connector on a VCR. It is not round, but trapezoid in shape.

I would assume you got two cables with the unit: one with a round connector and one with a trapezoid connector.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts