BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting the following SES codes using the Peake Tool... Anyone else or anyone know what this is caused by?

I always get the same MENU 18 - codes 63 & E8

63 = "Control Unit Self-Test, Safety Concept Master Check"
E8 = Evaporative Emmisions purge valve functional check

Any input?

·
10,458 Posts
I think your code 63 could be b3, which is cat efficiency, iirc (sounds familiar to me!). The evap thing i had before too. I think the dealer tried to say i had not put the gas cap on correctly. Are you getting an SES light with these?
Mike

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mottati said:
I think your code 63 could be b3, which is cat efficiency, iirc (sounds familiar to me!). The evap thing i had before too. I think the dealer tried to say i had not put the gas cap on correctly. Are you getting an SES light with these?
Mike

Yes SES light each time. I always put the gas cap on tight. The code reader is showing 63 I am pretty sure. Maybe it is b3?

·
10,458 Posts
When i thought i was getting 63 it turned out to be b3, when i went to the dealer they said cat efficiency.
Mike

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mottati said:
When i thought i was getting 63 it turned out to be b3, when i went to the dealer they said cat efficiency.
Mike

Is there a fix or a problem? Or is this just something that you have to live with? I am assuming this is a by-product of the headers?

·
10,458 Posts
SACM5 said:
Is there a fix or a problem? Or is this just something that you have to live with? I am assuming this is a by-product of the headers?
I am not getting this code anymore. I had it just before the headers and went into the dealer. They put on a new set of cats the week before the headers went on, and no recurrence since! Might want to email bill and see if he has any ideas. How many miles on your car? (this is an obd2 thing, i wonder if powerchip can fix it, i'd heard they have a software update for cars with aftermarket cats)
Mike

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mottati said:
I am not getting this code anymore. I had it just before the headers and went into the dealer. They put on a new set of cats the week before the headers went on, and no recurrence since! Might want to email bill and see if he has any ideas. How many miles on your car? (this is an obd2 thing, i wonder if powerchip can fix it, i'd heard they have a software update for cars with aftermarket cats)
Mike
I am running stock cats and have about 24K miles on the car.

·
10,458 Posts
SACM5 said:
I am running stock cats and have about 24K miles on the car.
What i meant by the software thing is this... I think powerchip can make the secondary O2 sensor a little more, um, forgiving, so people with aftermarket cats doen't get cat efficiency codes. THat is what I think you have. My first cat replacement was the drivers side at around 50k, but then i got codes for both at 57k or so, and they were both replaced. I'd imagine all bets are off on getting the cats done under warranty now that the headers are on (not to mention the welding required to mate them to the SS downpipes).

If i were you, i might try to get the dealer to check the codes to see what you really have, i may be off base with the b3 code. If they say it's cat efficiency, call Bill!
Mike

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mottati said:
What i meant by the software thing is this... I think powerchip can make the secondary O2 sensor a little more, um, forgiving, so people with aftermarket cats doen't get cat efficiency codes. THat is what I think you have. My first cat replacement was the drivers side at around 50k, but then i got codes for both at 57k or so, and they were both replaced. I'd imagine all bets are off on getting the cats done under warranty now that the headers are on (not to mention the welding required to mate them to the SS downpipes).

If i were you, i might try to get the dealer to check the codes to see what you really have, i may be off base with the b3 code. If they say it's cat efficiency, call Bill!
Mike

Good advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
mottati said:
My first cat replacement was the drivers side at around 50k, but then i got codes for both at 57k or so, and they were both replaced. I'd imagine all bets are off on getting the cats done under warranty now that the headers are on (not to mention the welding required to mate them to the SS downpipes).

Mike
Actually I got cat efficiency code on the drivers side and the dealer agreed to replace the cat!! Headers are obvious, so that wasn't an issue. I suspect because no one questions a bad cat. It will be a clamp on though, not weld (hey, I can have my mech do that after warranty runs out next month!). I told them to hold off because I think it is a false reading. If you add a spark arrester, it will move the second O2 sensor farther away and apparently cure the problem. Parts are $5 or so. Haven't tried it yet, got info off of VW/Audi site.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts