BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7 months into beast ownership and I know that a Peake reader is a must, but my question is: do you guys use the Peake to diagnose/test and keep an eye on how your beast is running or is it primarily used when codes have been thrown? I know people use theirs to test MAFs, but are they also useful for running other diagnostics if there is no CEL or SES illuminated? Snagging one is on my to-do list, but I'm trying to prioritize Thx.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
7 months into beast ownership and I know that a Peake reader is a must, but my question is: do you guys use the Peake to diagnose/test and keep an eye on how your beast is running or is it primarily used when codes have been thrown? I know people use theirs to test MAFs, but are they also useful for running other diagnostics if there is no CEL or SES illuminated? Snagging one is on my to-do list, but I'm trying to prioritize Thx.
The ONLY thing a Peake does is read a 'thrown code". Period. Nothing else.

99% of the time a thrown code will cause a CEL. Rarely you can have a code and the CEL has not set (yet?)

The peake is NOT used for MAFs, or any other 'check' on running condition.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I keep it handy in the car at all times...I wouldnt use it unless I get a ses light.... would I scan it occasionally? never.. if I had a ses light def would scan....

its the cheapest best "tool" you can own...

·
Registered
797 Posts
The Peake reader is just that, a code reader. It's advantage is that it is specific for your BMW and gives more specific info. If you are interested in live data, you'll need something more. I bought an Innova scan tool because I needed one tool that covered all my vehicles. The bonus is that I can get live reading on many things including load, O2 sensors, Throttle position, long term and short term fuel trims, Coolant temp, and more.

All this is great info for tracking down a problem that hasn't thrown a code, for monitoring performance, and for verifying improvement after part replacement. It's still not the answer to everything. You still have to think things through on your own, but having live data is a big help at times.

HTH

dj

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all.

Under the "How to test MAFs" thread, it reads: "Method B - using an OBD-II scan-tool", so I figured a Peake reader could be used.

·
Registered
797 Posts
A Scan Tool that has live data can display the MAF reading. My Innova reads in lb/hr I believe.

dj

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it, thx. What model number Innova do you have?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have the 3140. It's a great generic scan tool and has some neat PC/online features. It is not bmw specific though.

dj

·
Registered
624 Posts
ive definitely found codes that hadn't(yet) set off the CEL. It's very useful.

·
Registered
142 Posts
dude its only about $150....probably one of the cheapest things you'll buy for your M5 and will save you lots of head scratching when you get the CEL.
I plug mine in often just to see whats up and clear the dreaded AA code even though it doesnt always trigger the CEL.

ya gotta have one.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts