BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SES light went on again. The Peake tool read it as "Secondary Air System, flow too low." Before I trot off to the dealer, anyone know what this may involve?

·
10,459 Posts
sounds like the smog pump to me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The vacuum hose for the smog pump check value is a common problem. It either breaks or becomes loose enough so it can't pull a vacuum. Just replacing the hose usually cures the problem. Of course there are other things that would cause the same code but that's the most common.

Hope that helps
Joe

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Silverstreak,

I think the secondary air system just is needed to reduce cold start emissions in really cold climates. It´s function is to blow air into the richly mixed exhausts to speed up cat light-off.

I´ve had a false alarm from the secondary air system. Went away by itself.

David

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DavidS said:
Silverstreak,

I think the secondary air system just is needed to reduce cold start emissions in really cold climates. It´s function is to blow air into the richly mixed exhausts to speed up cat light-off.

I´ve had a false alarm from the secondary air system. Went away by itself.

David
I'm in South FLorida - it really doesn't get to cold here, especially this time of year. But you may be on the right track. It happened on start-up. I reset the system and will see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts