BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Here Goes, Need to confirm what I need to purchase to resolve my Peak Code Erros.

Peak Code Reader Picked Up The Followoing Error Codes :

1. 0A = Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor Cyl # 1 - 4
2. 0F = Crankshaft/Camshaft Position Correlation Cyl # 1 - 4
3. 72 = Exhaust Camshaft Vanos Position Control Cyl # 5 - 8

Am I right in thinking it's time to purchase a pair of new Camshaft Position Sensors (for both cylinder banks). ?????

Also :

4. AA = Secondary Air System Flow Too Low

Not sure about this one.....?????

5. 69 = Engine Coolant Tempreture Plausibility

Not sure about this one either, as I can see from the cars history that it had a new thermostat fitted about 18 months ago, so maybe the codes just weren't reset after it was fitted. Also the car runs with the temprature guage reading dead center, and warms up as expected.

Just about to order a set of Exhaust CPS Sensors and just wanted to re-assure myself I've diagnosed the readings correctly.

Also buying a set of VW MAF's.....as the car has just reached the 39,000 mile mark and they must be about due for replacement.

Just let me know If I've diagnosed things correctly.................THANKS

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hi Jim,

Did you read these codes yourself with the PEAKE tool? If you did you should reset the codes and keep a regular check on things, like twice a day - depending on how much you drive the car.

The cam position sensor looks straight forward and the other codes may well be related to it - change that sensor and keep checking for codes.

The AA code is what our US friends call the 'dreaded carbon build up' but I don't think it necessarily means you have that issue, could be to do with the secondary air pump itself or the related valve (can't think what it is called). One of the guys here, sorry, can't remember who, reported that there is an 'unofficial bmw fix' - basically you disconnect the secondary air pump and you won't have the problem any more.

It has zero effect on the car's performance, it is purely emissions related, it pumps additional air into the exhaust stream to reduce the emissions when the engine is cold, you should be able to hear the pump run for a minute or so when you first start the car in the morning.

You can also carry out a fuel flow test to determine the condition of the MAFs - do a search for 'maf testing' and you will find the link.

You are looking for a figure of around 140 liters per hour but 130 is pretty common, unless your show to be much lower than that I would leave the oem's in place until they do start to go.

One other thing, if I were replacing the CPS I would go ahead replace all 4 'while you're in there'.

HTH

Richie.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Richie.......Yep, I read the codes myself using the new Peak Research R5 FCX3 tool.

Just ordered both Exhaust Cam Position Sensors, and a pair of MAF's...and hopefully they'll all be here on Thursday, so will replace them and see how we go.

I've just reset (Cleared) the fault codes........then started the car up and went for a 30 minute drive (Town Driving + Hard Acceleration on Motorway) and then re-checked for codes...this time it came up with just two....again both indicating the Exhaust Cam Position Sensor on Cylinders 1 - 4. (Codes OA & OF) so I'm going to replace both exhaust sensors, and the MAF's for peace of mind, then I know that they're done and I'll see how it goes from there.

Was actually quite pleased to see so few codes........LOL, and I had a feeling one of the exhaust cam position sensors was on it's way out as intermittently I got that "Blatty" noise from the exhaust and a dip in power when I accelerated hard of of corners. Once I let off the gas pedal for a moment, re applied full throttle, it would be ok again...... but it was a sign that it was on it's way out, but I just didn't know which one it was till I received the code reader today.

Cheers......

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thanks Richie.......Yep, I read the codes myself using the new Peak Research R5 FCX3 tool.

Just ordered both Exhaust Cam Position Sensors, and a pair of MAF's...so will replace them and see how we go.

I just reset the fault codes........then started the car up and went for a 15 minute drive, and then re-checked for codes...this time it came up with just two....both indicating the Exhaust Cam Position Sensor on Cylinders 1 - 4. (Codes OA & OF) so I'm going to replace both exhaust sensors, then I know that they're done, and I'll see how it goes from there.

Cheers......
No problem Jim.

That sounds good - the AA code will only trip when the fault happens, a lot of the time, especially in the warmer months, the secondary air pump will not come on and so will not trip any codes.

Cheers :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts