BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wanted to know if anyone has already encountered this before and can point me at least where to start looking.

My PDC doesn't work when I'm on reverse. the computer does see the sensors, so i'm quite sure it isn't the sensor, and I can make the alarm beep meaning its not the alarm either..

What could be wrong? wiring? Where do I start looking?

I am the 3rd owner of this car hence I don't know much about its history..

TIA!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Turn key in position 2(do not start the car),put the car in reverse,listen to each sensor.The one(s) that do not make a sound is/are broken...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi guys, thanks for helping me out.

I have read it in the computer and it says the sensors are all there. (can read if someone is standing my the sensor) so i guess its not really which sensor to replace but rather why it is not beeping. (when something is near, as it beeps when it goes to reverse, it just doesnt beep differently when im near something)

DDSLT5, what button flashing?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

one theory we have is, wiring? where do i start looking?

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
Hello,

I will try to help you as much as I can. I experienced the same thing a month ago, on my E63 M6. My case was even more difficult because the PDC was interminently working, then it was dead then it worked again and so on.

Two sensors were potential suspects, and were replaced. Nope. The central PDC module ( back in the trunk ) was replaced. Nope. Finally the dealer had to open a Puma case and get advice from Germany. BINGO.

Change the wiring loom of the PDC. Three sets of wires were changed and we were back to normal. Cost of wiring and installation ~500 USD. Ohh and six visits to the dealer.

Regards,

George

·
Registered
374 Posts
hi guys, thanks for helping me out.

I have read it in the computer and it says the sensors are all there. (can read if someone is standing my the sensor) so i guess its not really which sensor to replace but rather why it is not beeping. (when something is near, as it beeps when it goes to reverse, it just doesnt beep differently when im near something)

DDSLT5, what button flashing?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

one theory we have is, wiring? where do i start looking?
Hmmm. Interesting. I meant the PDC button. When working normally, it is lit when engaged, and beeps as you approach objects. Is the little light in the button lit up?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm. Interesting. I meant the PDC button. When working normally, it is lit when engaged, and beeps as you approach objects. Is the little light in the button lit up?
errr... I know this is a stupid and idiotic question, but where/ which is the PDC button? is this the tire pressure button to the right of the steering wheel before getting to the center panel?

damn, it feels stupid asking this question. Pardon my ignorance. i'm just a new beast owner hehe!

·
Registered
374 Posts
errr... I know this is a stupid and idiotic question, but where/ which is the PDC button? is this the tire pressure button to the right of the steering wheel before getting to the center panel?

damn, it feels stupid asking this question. Pardon my ignorance. i'm just a new beast owner hehe!
Hey Bud - there are no stupid questions! I'm going to find a photo of it for ya: goto post #4 in this link:

Option list for 01-03 M5 - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

You'll see the console buttons - the PDC button is where the DSC button is in that photo, and it has a little green LED light in the upper left hand corner of the button.

Or check out this pic:

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hmmm, now this is weird..

my m5, (us version, 01/2000 manufacturing date) only has the following:

Seat heater, sport, DSC, rear sunshade, <blank>, <blank>, rear heater.

Is this unusual? (or is it possible this was replaced with another model's climate control) The buttons do have a knack of breaking down. but why is there a DSC, sport and seat heater button?

*I'm quite sure this is the case, but I will double check later when I get back home.

Is there a possibility the PDC button on my model is somewhere else?

·
Registered
374 Posts
hmmm, now this is weird..

my m5, (us version, 01/2000 manufacturing date) only has the following:

Seat heater, sport, DSC, rear sunshade, <blank>, <blank>, rear heater.

Is this unusual? (or is it possible this was replaced with another model's climate control) The buttons do have a knack of breaking down. but why is there a DSC, sport and seat heater button?

*I'm quite sure this is the case, but I will double check later when I get back home.

Is there a possibility the PDC button on my model is somewhere else?
So - there was a major makeover of the interior of the M5 from 2000 to 2001. I'll look up some interior shots from autotrader.com and post. I don't have blank buttons. I have buttons for seat heater, sun shade, pdc, dsc then some space, then another seat heater button. Will post again shortly!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for clarifying that for me.

That means, I'm back to my first dilemna, how/ why is it not working, considering both the sensors and alarm/beep/sound module is working?

Is it safe to assume the wirings?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily assume the wiring harness, but I would defnintely employ a good dealership or independent shop to diagnose it properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts