BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've searched for a couple of hours now and haven't found anything that is the same as my problem.:typing:

I have been able to cross some things off the list though.

First of all is the problem. It is on a 2001 MY, built in (I believe) August 2000. It has the front and rear PDC.
The PDC light flashes and I'll get what could be the rear tone sound for 2-3 seconds. Then nothing else other
than the flashing light. This happens 90% of the time, the other 10% the system works. After spending
13 years fixing helicopters, I've learned to hate intermittent electrical issues.??????

I have gone around and checked all the sensors. They all give the clicking noise so I'm positive that a failed
sensor in not a problem. I have removed the PDC Control Unit, inspected the circuit board and pins and there
were no signs of loose or broken solder paths. All the pins and sockets were in fine shape as well.

The system was working fine until a month ago. When I took off for vacation I left the car at a shop to have
the burnt out pixels fixed. Can something be knocked loose when the instruments are removed? I ask because
Timmay mentioned something about a module (speaker) above the brake/clutch/gas pedals that he had an
issue with. Any other connections that could cause issues?:dunno:

It's -5C right now and as dark as the inside of a cow so I've finished for the night. I'll be phoning around looking
for a PDC Control Unit at a recycler tomorrow but would appreciate any other tips as well.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

David

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I know there are several other members in the Vancouver area, maybe someone can swing by and swap out the front controller to see if it cures your issues.......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't realize there is more than 1 controller. Mine has 3 plugs (white, blue and black) coming out of it. One of the plugs disappears to feed the rear sensors, I assumed another is for the front and the 3rd for power .......

If there is anyone who wants to swap, I'm out in the 200th St and Hwy 1 area but will travel to meet up.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I think that the rear sound for 3sec indicates that the problem is with the rear end (not entirely 100% on this but I do have a strong feeling-please correct me if I'm wrong). If the do sometimes work it shows that all cam operate. Sounds like a poor connection or the sensors need a clean.
Give the sensors a wipe, they hate anything on them.
It might be worth a half hour to slide the rear bumper out and check the connections. You need to remove three plastic rivets that hold the wheel arch liner to the bumper (per side) and then remove the nuts that hold the bumper supports (again, three per side, 13mm size socket). You need to shift the boot carpet stuff for access, but that's easy. The bumper should slide backwards (may need a bit of a tug next to the wheels) and you can then have a good fiddle with the sensor connectors.

Removing the front bumper isn't too bad either but it may not be necessary. Am I correct i'n thinking that the front sensors are held in the bumper trims? If so, these could be popped off quite easily.

From what I've discovered, there's only the one control unit at the rear with two connectors for the sensors and the third for power, button and beepers (or connection to another interior control ecu to request the beeps). I'm sure I saw something on realoem that indicated this.

You might be unlucky and have a dry joint in there (just melt again with a soldering iron).

Otherwise, if you have access to a gt1 or similarly capable diag, it should be able to say where the problem lies.

Let us know how you get on. Hth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ger, a job for this afternoon if the snow holds off.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
In my experience a ticking sensor can still be bad, although it's far less likely to be bad if it ticks.

Do you have access to a Resler iBus interface and NavCoder, or a full BMW diagnostic computer? You can test the sensors even if the full PDC system is not working, it's excellent for finding faulty sensors.

·
Registered
55 Posts
where do the clicks come from? im guessing relays but are they in the sensors themselves? mine is not working but i get the long beep when selecting reverse but no clicking form any sensors.......theres nothing to click inside module so im guessing theyre in the sensors? anybody know the pinout for sensor plug?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
The click is the audible harmonic of the ultrasonic pulse used to determine the distance of an obstruction from the sensor.

If you get no clicking from any sensor then either the PCD control module is faulty, the wires have been disconnected or all 4 sensors have failed.

Connect up a diagnostic computer (or some other program/device that can tell you sensor information) and see what that says.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
There are several programs, if you don't have anything the cheapest way to do it is with NavCoder and a Resler iBus interface.

I'll be down not too far from Bath (Chippenham) Monday night, so if you're about I can have a look at it with NavCoder.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
There are several programs, if you don't have anything the cheapest way to do it is with NavCoder and a Resler iBus interface.

I'll be down not too far from Bath (Chippenham) Monday night, so if you're about I can have a look at it with NavCoder.
does your navcoder have a list of hex codes with it? I am trying to get definitions of the following PDC codes OB,OA,O9,and O8. My scanner just gives me "description unavailable".

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
does your navcoder have a list of hex codes with it? I am trying to get definitions of the following PDC codes OB,OA,O9,and O8. My scanner just gives me "description unavailable".
No. It just gives a reading of the distances reported by each sensor, this enables you to see easily which sensors are bad.

·
Registered
100 Posts

That's why this board rocks. :applause:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
That's great Richard. I can finally get a look at your audio too. Would you be around after 730 or is that too late?
After 7:30 would be fine, probbaly necessary!

It's unlikley I'll be down in the M5, it won't be ready by then - it's having a little bit of work done on the paint (have a look in my gallery).

However, I can bring some bits down with me that you could try in your car to see how it works if you would like.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Yes, it's a lot of work!

The company I work for is based in Chippenham, so just one stop down the M4.

Let me know what you'd like to see, I have a DICE Silverline, DICE Media Bridge and Intravee (with KCA-420i iPod adapter, CHA-S634 CD Changer and TUA-T100DAB tuner). All should be pretty much plug and play, although the DAB tuner and A/D converter will need a power supply (easily connected direct to the battery for a quick test). Anything else you like? Mk IV Nav demo, Splash screen, VR coding ... ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Chippenham is not too far from me, I know it well. Pretty much just want to be able to use iPod and a decent nav would be handy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts