BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First post, I love this site by far the best informed, most useful and courteous in the BMW world :haha:
I am in a bit of a conundrum and would like some opinion. I recently moved back from the US to the UK and had to sell my beloved Cayenne Turbo. For the sake of my daily driving needs I bought a 545 E60. Nice car but couldn't configure it the way I wanted as I bought it from stock.
I have been keeping my eyes open for the M5 ever since and saw the beast during a quick stopover in Paris.
Now that would the choice of passion, outstanding car but tough to get soon, dealer says late '05 at best, suitably expensive and frankly an overkill for my daily use hiha
On the other hand, the choice of reason would be a 535d Touring Sport, great hauling capacity for various gear that invariably comes along during family outings, great economy, decent engine and near M5 looks (can't believe I said that :blink: ) They had a touring sport in Paris and it does look good. I can have one by early '05 with all bells and whistles, even planning to get Individual full (or is it fool Ashok :blink: ) leather and the price whilst creeping higher remains reasonnable.
What do you fellows think? Passion 507hp but long delay before seeing the best or pefrect Q family car on the reason side? Had an RS4 few years back, nice comromise but bendy wheels !
Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your views and listening!

Cyril

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard Cyril :byee55amg

The 535d is a great car. The M5 is in a totally different league though. I remember comparing regular E39 cars when considering my current M5 and it only took a minute behind the wheel of an M5 to erase any doubts. Unless you really really need the load lugging space get the M5.

Keep in mind that the boot (trunk) of the E60 is bigger than the E39 and doesn't have those annoying subwoofers that take up so much space in the current model. Don't forget you can also specify the split fold-down rear seats for even more space.

My wife and I have travelled all over Continental Europe with a baby and ancilliary luggage (travel bags, shopping, sterilisers, bottle warmers, milk, nappies, etc.) and it all fit without a problem.

Get the M5!

p.s. I may end up having to get fool leather if I want the colour of my choice - will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Spiroman said:
Just curious - what is the colour of your choice?
Onyx Blue exterior, Cinnamon leather interior, Edelholz Carrara wood trim.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ashok,

Thanks for your reply. Posting on this board I was certainly hoping for a slightly baised view :hihihi:
I am sure the M5 is a great car, in terms of cargo capacity the 545i is OK. Although I don't have the folding backrest, which is a real pain. I like estates (station wagons) they are really convenient. The M5 will be a great car but I fear that as with all my previous experiences with high performance German cars they tend to be high maintenance...And the fact it will realistically take more than 1 yr to get one, I might not be that patient...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Cryil

The residual value of the 535d should be good, check with the dealer and an independent like a leasing company. So would it be worth you considering getting the 535d and still putting a deposit on the M5?

This will give you the chance to have a more pratical car sooner and you can see if it is that much more practical over your 545.

Also I've heard that the production run for the UK is allocated for the first 2 years already. So that might factor the M5 delivery with the normal change over of your 535d.

Sacha...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good points Sacha, I wam sure the 535d will retain value OK but no doubt it will manage to drop at least £15k :crying:
Dealer says can get me an M5 early '06 but then again, we will have to wait and see to see if it is true, still a long wait from now...
The 535d is actually fairly constraint too in terms of production, was given a week 1 '05 production slot.
I have remotely considered the dark side of the force, ie E55 AMG but I think the estate version of the 5 looks way better plus that one is a candidate for top depreciation....

C

HomerUK said:
Cryil

The residual value of the 535d should be good, check with the dealer and an independent like a leasing company. So would it be worth you considering getting the 535d and still putting a deposit on the M5?

This will give you the chance to have a more pratical car sooner and you can see if it is that much more practical over your 545.

Also I've heard that the production run for the UK is allocated for the first 2 years already. So that might factor the M5 delivery with the normal change over of your 535d.

Sacha...

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you are still interested in a M5 before this slot you have been offered I might be able to help. Last time I visited my dealer their demo was not allocated, I think if you are seriously interested you could spec the car as you want. The only issue is the car can't be registered for 4 months, its a regulation to stop bulk registrations by dealers.

If you are interested in this demo car I can check with the dealership about availability for you.

Sacha...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Just ordered my new E61 535d Sport Individual, for March delivery - Malachite Green with Caramel Full Merino Leather, lots and lots of toys, possibly including the Individual rear-seat DVD system... :M5thumbs:

Using an E60 530iSE in the meantime as daily wheels - a nice enough tool for getting around in, but NO SOUL.

Mark

·
Registered
559 Posts
hythe said:
Just ordered my new E61 535d Sport Individual, for March delivery - Malachite Green with Caramel Full Merino Leather, lots and lots of toys, possibly including the Individual rear-seat DVD system... :M5thumbs:

Mark
Be sure to post pics! Sounds like an incredible combination.:byee55amg

Best regards,

Spiroman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts