BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this issue? it sounds like a cricket is chirping sometimes. doesn't matter if someone is sitting in it or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For what its worth my new X5m has this issue 2012 build with 200 miles on it. I think there is a bmw bulliten out for the x5m's on this reg multi contour seats.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes mine does this as well. It is very aggrivating. I have complained to the dealer about it once before and the comments for the complaint were "recommend leather care". I already clean and treat my leather with Lexol so that is definately not the issue. I believe the driver's seat does it as well but not as frequently. Over bumpy roads it is most apparant. I haven't deduced whether it is coming from the mid-back fold hinge or the base hinge, but I believe it is squeaking from the base hinge for the backrest. I'm thinking a shot of lubricant (WD-40 or equivelant) to the metal hinge materials should quiet it up, but I haven't taken the time to remove the plastic covers and do it yet. If you place your hand on the back of the seat and rock it forward and backward while pushing to either side you can duplicate the noise sometimes, which will help in determining if lubricating the hinges fixed the problem. Quiet annoying to have a 6 figure car with squeaky seats grrrrrrr.

Oh and I also have the Multi-Function Sport Seats (wonder if the problem is related to them specifically or if the base seats have the same issue).

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the upper cover panel and if you pop it off and place some foam cushion (weather stripping) at the corners and center of the panel it will eliminate the squeak.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Tips on taking that panel off?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes I noticed it is specifically coming from the plastic covers that run around the hinge at the backrest to base meeting joint. I had to spray the mounting points of them on my 530i as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts