BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Drivers side and the key( when you press the front part of the key and all the windows roll down) Im able to roll the window down on the passengers side but get no response using the drivers side button. Also cant operate the passengers side mirror from drivers side.

I have taken the drivers window switch cluster out and apart and tried to clean what little contacts they have on it which is not much.

My question is is their a relay or something inbetween the drivers switch cluster and the passenger window switch? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do next??

Thanks In Advance
Your BMW Bud
Mark

·
Registered
377 Posts
Can you roll down the passenger side window from the passenger side? If you can't I think the motor on the passenger-side window needs to be replaced.

I haven't had any issues with the buttons not working, but I have had the window regulator motors die.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I can roll down the window from the passengers side. The drivers side control doesnt allow me 2 control either the passenger window or the passenger side mirror.
The passenger side lock doesn't not work either, but that maybe another issue.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'd see if you could find someone with an E39 and ask to switch out their driver side control with yours for a little bit just to do a test.

If the passenger side lock doesn't work it could be the motor for it. I had that go out and it wasn't fun. I had to take it a part and mess with it so I could get it to actually get the door to remain shut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jet

Yeah I wish I had that many friends lol especially with 530is lol j/k Yeah time is kinda a factor with me...dont ever have enuf of it.

I actually dont think its the control panel..I am able slide the control button from drivers side mirror to the passengers and the drivers side works.

Is there a relay switch inbetween the drivers button cluster and the passenger side mirror or window. I think thats whats bad..

anyways any help you fellowe bimmers friend can get would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks Jet

Yeah I wish I had that many friends lol especially with 530is lol j/k Yeah time is kinda a factor with me...dont ever have enuf of it.
Up until about a year ago I had the luxury of my father owning a 540i so I could test interior parts easily.

I actually dont think its the control panel..I am able slide the control button from drivers side mirror to the passengers and the drivers side works.

Is there a relay switch inbetween the drivers button cluster and the passenger side mirror or window. I think thats whats bad..

anyways any help you fellowe bimmers friend can get would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Mark
There is a 'general module' (as it is called in the Bentley Manuals') that dispatches the commands to control the motors. So your connection there might have come loose. It is located behind the glove box.

Hope that helps you. You might want to consider buying the Bentley Manuals (and a multimeter) if you are going to do any mucking around in the electrical system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jetblack

Cool, I think thats what Ive been looking for since I started having this problem. Yeah I know that Bentley Manual would sure be nice but......I cant afford one right now. Does it take ytou step by step thru the problem? Would you mind sending me a couple of pages to direct me in the right direction? At any rate awesome help

What happen to your fathers 540? sold it.

Anyways good looking out!

Your Bimmer Bud
Mark

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mark,

I could, but the manual doesn't give troubleshooting help. It just has information on how to get to whatever you want to remove.

Yes, my father sold his 540 when his company switched to company cars... the guy who bought it got a heck of a deal a 2001 540i/6 w/ sport package and 32k miles.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Yes I can roll down the window from the passengers side. The drivers side control doesnt allow me 2 control either the passenger window or the passenger side mirror.
The passenger side lock doesn't not work either, but that maybe another issue.
You need a new driver's window switch. I suppose theoretically it could be your general module too, but I'd bet on switch.

d-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Guys thanks for all the help!

Does anyone know how to test a door switch? Can I use a multimeter to test it?

Douglas I hope its not the door switch but your right its does defintely sound like a switch...although I havent taken the passenger door panel off to check that module in there? Think maybe thats bad? How do I check these module with a multimeter?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had this problem to. Some times and its very rare, but when i put my mirrors up, which I like to when parked because it helps keep them from getting nicked, and it looks cool. But the passenger side mirror will not come down sometimes for a whole day and it looks terrible while driving around. Anyone else have this problem, what would cause this??

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I have had this problem to. Some times and its very rare, but when i put my mirrors up, which I like to when parked because it helps keep them from getting nicked, and it looks cool. But the passenger side mirror will not come down sometimes for a whole day and it looks terrible while driving around. Anyone else have this problem, what would cause this??
Sometimes the mirrors stick and need to be given some "help" by hand.

Also, remember that the mirrors really like it if you allow them to complete their travel's before you reverse them - if you change your mind about folding them 1/2 way the process you should let them finish before putting them down again.

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Hey Guys thanks for all the help!

Does anyone know how to test a door switch? Can I use a multimeter to test it?

Douglas I hope its not the door switch but your right its does defintely sound like a switch...although I havent taken the passenger door panel off to check that module in there? Think maybe thats bad? How do I check these module with a multimeter?

Thanks
Mark
You really can't check the switches with a multimeter. Unlikely a normal vehicle that has current carrying wires between all the swtiches, the M5 uses IBus. Every electrical device has an address on the system and instead of sending a current / voltage to them, the switch instead sends a command to the address telling it what to do.

I suspect your switch because it is more likely for 1 component (the switch) to fail to send the commands than it is for multiple components to fail to receive them, especially since you indicated your other switches can control the window.

Troubleshooting in this case basically means finding someone else with the same switch and swapping it into your car for a few minutes, or getting an IBus reader and ensuring the appropriate commands are there. The latter approach is not for a newbie, so if you aren't already familiar with IBus, the Resler Interface, and the expected commands, I'd find someone with the switch...

d-

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
ok since the system is a 12volt system pull the switch panel and with a test light or volt meter see if you are getting power out when you hit the window switch if you are them you know its

a. a bad connection or pinched wire to the general mod
b. worst case senario a bad gm
c. a bad ground

if your not them you know you have a bad switch panel

good luck hope this heped

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey thanks for all the help! Im trying not tpo spend unnessary money..especially that switch...wow the us price is 3 big ones..ouch I love have all windows working but 300 dollars is a lot especially as cheap as I am LOL

Couple questions since it sounds like you all know what your talking about. cherrsagaiBut Im confused..one of you says you cantest the switch and the otheer says you cant??

Douglas can you explain the eletrical system for the window, mirrors. When I press the drivers side button it send a command directly to the Ibus sytem? Then the IBus send a command to the passenger in door module? Since all the malfunctions occur in the passenger side wouldnt the in door module be more suspect than the switch? Just trying to figure it all out. Oh what Ibus reader are you talking about? The Peake Tool? Can you point me to more info on this please

M5 where do I place the multimeter, on what wire lead ???Could you explain a little more please? Here is a picture of the window switch cluster. http://www.oembimmerparts.com/catalog/item/4278428/4621586.htm

Again I really appreciate all of your help.

Also I should have mentioned this before but it may have some revelance..About 6 months ago...My BMW was broken into, and when I say broken into I mean broken into! They smashed the entire passenger window...all to get snatch a 30 gig IPOD...1200 dollars later....My insurance covered everything. I was thinking maybe the shop didnt set everything back correctly. Anyways what do you think??

Oh one more thing...This is my first BMW and Imust say I love this car!!!

Peace
mark

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Hey thanks for all the help! Im trying not tpo spend unnessary money..especially that switch...wow the us price is 3 big ones..ouch I love have all windows working but 300 dollars is a lot especially as cheap as I am LOL

Couple questions since it sounds like you all know what your talking about. cherrsagaiBut Im confused..one of you says you cantest the switch and the otheer says you cant??

Douglas can you explain the eletrical system for the window, mirrors. When I press the drivers side button it send a command directly to the Ibus sytem? Then the IBus send a command to the passenger in door module? Since all the malfunctions occur in the passenger side wouldnt the in door module be more suspect than the switch? Just trying to figure it all out. Oh what Ibus reader are you talking about? The Peake Tool? Can you point me to more info on this please

M5 where do I place the multimeter, on what wire lead ???Could you explain a little more please? Here is a picture of the window switch cluster. http://www.oembimmerparts.com/catalog/item/4278428/4621586.htm

Again I really appreciate all of your help.

Also I should have mentioned this before but it may have some revelance..About 6 months ago...My BMW was broken into, and when I say broken into I mean broken into! They smashed the entire passenger window...all to get snatch a 30 gig IPOD...1200 dollars later....My insurance covered everything. I was thinking maybe the shop didnt set everything back correctly. Anyways what do you think??

Oh one more thing...This is my first BMW and Imust say I love this car!!!

Peace
mark
IBus is a communication method.

Here's an analogy. You want your neighbor to do something. You have 2 choices: pick up the phone and call or send a letter. Picking up the phone established a direct connection, much like regular car wiring - each person is connected through wires to the other.

IBus is like sending a letter (admittedly with real time pickup and delivery). You address the letter to your neighbor and put it in your mailbox. At the first opportunity (nearly real time) the mailman gets your letter and delivers it to your neighbor who reads it and takes the action you requested. At no time is there a directly connection between the 2 of you. And if you address the letter wrong, or use lousy handwriting for whatever reason, the letter either doesn't get to your neighbor or he doesn't act on it.

I don't believe you can test for continuity / signal because there really isn't one. I could be wrong however, so wait for M5!

d-

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
you can ck it to a point take the passenger door panel off pull the weather barrier off. then reconnect the switch. take a test light and dip into the power source of the window motor. have some hit the drivers side switch and see if you get power. if not then yank the switch out of the drivers door and ck it directly from there. do take note that i am assumeing your window doesnt work at all

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
you can ck it to a point take the passenger door panel off pull the weather barrier off. then reconnect the switch. take a test light and dip into the power source of the window motor. have some hit the drivers side switch and see if you get power. if not then yank the switch out of the drivers door and ck it directly from there. do take note that i am assumeing your window doesnt work at all
I concur you can always check the motor itself to see if it is drawing current, but this does not tell you whether it is not drawing current because a) it is broken, or b) no one told it to move...

d-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts