BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front passenger door is locked shut. The alarm remote will open and close all other doors, as will the interior door button, but not the front passenger door.

Also, the interior (and of course, exterior) manual door handles will not do anything either.

The trick is that the door panels don't seem to be removable easily unless the door is open.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frits said:
I haven't tryed in my E39 yet, but I once had a similar problem with my E36. We managed to get the door panel out, undamaged, with the door closed...
Hopefully you'll never have to try it in your E39.

Was it the actuator motor at fault?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ronin M5 said:
My front passenger door is locked shut. The alarm remote will open and close all other doors, as will the interior door button, but not the front passenger door.

Also, the interior (and of course, exterior) manual door handles will not do anything either.

The trick is that the door panels don't seem to be removable easily unless the door is open.

Yes, sounds like exactly the same symptoms I had with my passenger door, on a 2001 car :

I took in to the dealer who could find no way of opening the door, after much scratching of heads they decided the only way to see what was going on was to shred the inner door pannel. But they decided it would be better to order a new one before commencing work, that took two weeks to arrive.

Once inside the door they replaced a Pulse Generator, the door rod and the control module in the door. I hope you've a warranty that will cover this otherwise if you have to go down this route you'll be looking at approx $2000.

If I remember rightly the new door card was over £700 !!! Labour was £200, and the other parts another £200 and then UK tax (17.5%) on top of the overall bill.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Talking about Door locks..

I have a question..

When you trigger the door locks.. Are all the LOCKS suppose to activate
at the same time?? Or in sequence???

Reason I ask.. Locking and unlocking all the doors.. It always sounds like,
one lock starts and others follow.. Am i making sense???

thanks

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SeeSure said:
I hope you've a warranty that will cover this otherwise if you have to go down this route you'll be looking at approx $2000.
My warranty ended in November 2004...

:eek:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hmm. There must be a creative way out of your dilemma.

Do you think that it would open if somehow pulling the lock "pin" up (the pin that normally pops up when unlocked) would do the trick?

I imaging something very sticky.

I have this aluminum tape. It is a type of duct tape, but it is very thin aluminum and it is VERY sticky. Maybe a very short piece, made like a little circle (tunnel) and inched around the "pin" would work. If it sticks you could pull it up.

Just a thought. It would be a shame to have to replace the door panel.

Paul

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I haven't removed the door panels of my E39 yet, but with the E36, one can remove the leather part (it is glewed). Removing the leather part might be enough to get to the lock. Afterwards, it can just be glewed to the panel again. It may be totally different in an E39, since the leather part contains an airbag...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
marcducati said:
You don't like having passengers do you.

Good pretext. "I'd take you but euh...my door is stuck, bye bye now....." ;) ouich

Marc
Faced with a $2000 bill, I think I'll go "General Lee" style, Dukes of Hazzard. As long as Jessica S/Daisy Duke doesn't mind jumping through my window for a ride, I'm set.

Thanks for the tips on cost effective solutions. I'm going to Irvine BMW tomorrow to see what they have to say, and will keep the tips in mind. You would think there has to be a better way. Much appreciated.

*And no, I have not seen the movie.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pkarmouche said:
Do you think that it would open if somehow pulling the lock "pin" up (the pin that normally pops up when unlocked) would do the trick?Just a thought. It would be a shame to have to replace the door panel.

Paul
Any one else have thoughts on this? Is the door lock pin directly connected to the actuator?

Interesting idea.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ronin M5 said:
Any one else have thoughts on this? Is the door lock pin directly connected to the actuator?

Interesting idea.
I just went out and tried this. It is too slippery (mine are chrome) for the tape to stick to, however you can pull the black plastic sleeve (the ring that sits around the pin) straight up and off.

With the plastic sleeve removed there would be room to grab the pin with needle nose pliers and pull it up.

I didn't try this because it would probably scratch the pin. You might try it though, because the pay off would be mighty large if it works (the pin should be pretty inexpensive to replace wether it works or not).

Paul

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
pkarmouche said:
Hmm. There must be a creative way out of your dilemma.

Do you think that it would open if somehow pulling the lock "pin" up (the pin that normally pops up when unlocked) would do the trick?
Always great ideas. Also more info below.

Mechanism Pics:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=41_0026&hg=41&fg=40

Door Panel Pics:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=51_3491&hg=51&fg=50

Maybe if you can hear the actuator working, then maybe one of the connections for the cables is broken.

ttboyvanc's solution might be the first route to take, since it sounds like the same problem. From the pics, looks like you could take out the inner door handle too. Then maybe you could jam a coat hanger in the door and jerk on something to open it. I vaguely remember taking the door apart on my 528i.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know for sure there is a way, I had my drivers door do it, how cool did I look getting into my M5 thru the passenger door, and sliding over???

I took it to an independant shop here in Dubai that only works on BMW's, but the mechanic (didn't speak very good english), told me he went thru the handle outside to first unlock the door, then with the door open, they properly removed the panel, and replaced the actuator.

Good luck, and you might want to try a local indie BMW shop, sometimes the dealer mechanics aren't very "creative" in saving you $$

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Ronin M5 said:

My rear door does not open sometimes, but after a few attempts with the interior door lock button it just opens. Do I need to have the door looked at before it finally gives up?
WillM5AD

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ttboyvanc said:
Good luck, and you might want to try a local indie BMW shop, sometimes the dealer mechanics aren't very "creative" in saving you $$
I tried an independent, but they didn't want to risk destroying the door, so off to the dealer I went. My first time there. They were like "you're not in the computer" I said, "Oh, this is my first time here."

Anyway, the service advisor said they typically remove the passenger seat and that provides access to the door panel.

We'll see. I'm waiting for the scary call with, "we estimate about $2500 to fix."

Hopefully that call never comes...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts