BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I did it on my E39 528i. I'm sure it's the same. It's at least $222 for the kit. There are no instructions and I can not give you instructions and make sense at the same time. There might be several guide dots in the sheet metal to help you get started, but the opening needs to be larger. The ski bag kit has locking tabs so, just be careful not to cut the opening larger than the ski bag kit fittings. You will need a dremel with two or three packs of steel cutting discs (5 discs/pack). Conceptually, it's easy so I'm sure you can figure it out on your own as you take it apart.

You will also need to cut the carpet with a heavy duty cutter or a utility knife will work, but it's harder.

There are also four locking tabs to lock the carpet to the sheet metal. You will need to buy new ones because they can easily be broken. The dealer gave it to me for free.

It's probably not a bad idea to prime and/or paint the exposed steel too so that it doesn't rust.

Cover the leather with blankets to make cleaning easier for there will be a lot of steel dust.

It can be a day job or a weekend job depending on whether you have all the right tools.

Parts list:
1. Dremel
2. Steel Cut-Off Wheels 5pk; buy more than you need, return the unopened leftovers
3. Carpet cutter - I used a Craftsman heavy duty cutting clippers
4. Paint/primer
5. Probably 4 carpet locking tabs from the dealer
6. Tape ruler for cutting measurements
7. Safety glasses (sparks)
8. Breathing mask or use a rag and a rubber band (steel dust)

Good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
kosmo said:
Does anyone know if this is doable on an M5 w/o the option?

thanks
Kosmo-

Unfortunately, I am a little North of you. (Tulsa) But I would suggest finding a pal with an M5 that has the ski bag, buying a bottle of your favorite adult beverage, and having him/her over for a weekend day so you could have an actual template.

KCD

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
kosmo said:
Does anyone know if this is doable on an M5 w/o the option?

thanks
I have an idea. Buy the ski bag kit and use it to create cut-out template. Then trace it into the sheet metal. I made my cut before I bought the kit, so it was cut and adjust until it fitted. It's really not that tough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts