BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my oil and oil filter today, oil and filter are ~2500 miles old.

Car is 2000 M5, Februar production, with 160K miles on it.

Opened the oil filter and this is how it looks like -

1. plenty of black rubber / **** like substance, it keeps its shape but can roll it to balls with my fingers if I pick it up

2. very few shiny particles, they are tiny, would not be picked up by a magnet nor could I pick one up from the filter media itself.

questions are:
1. should I be worried about wither of the items?
2. The oil sent to Blackstone, once results come in I will update
3. for the metal particles, any idea where could they come from?

Any ideas what should be done next / keep on driving would be great

Attachments

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I'd drop the oil pan and look for pieces of the timing chain guides. You'll need to remove the filter pick-up screen too... metal might be from the oil pump tensioner being worn and the chain rubbing on the cover, hard to say on that one...

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Possible, unlikely. Rod bearing that bad would have spun already imo. Vanos isn't like the E46 M3 here. They can go, but It's really rare from what I've seen over the years.

Downside is that tc guides is one of the most involved jobs, 30-40 hours

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i might be too lazy to take the oil pan off, will try to see what's going on using a USB probe camera, if it fails, than the oil pan comes down...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Wear some gloves bro. :sneaky:

I've got similar junk in my filter and my Blackstone numbers are pretty bad. They advised to keep monitoring for now. Do you have any weird noises from the engine? Follow the good advice and drop the pan. Where are you going to put a camera in that doesn't require as much or more work for access?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wear some gloves bro. :sneaky:

I've got similar junk in my filter and my Blackstone numbers are pretty bad. They advised to keep monitoring for now. Do you have any weird noises from the engine? Follow the good advice and drop the pan. Where are you going to put a camera in that doesn't require as much or more work for access?
Which one of the similar junk do you have in your engine? the black plastic pieces or the tiny metal flakes?
I'll update once I get the Blackstone result for my oil.

When they say "keep an eye", why not go ahead and take care of it? if I get that these are tensioners or rod bearing material, the plan would be to fixing that right away. any reason not to act upon it immediately?

As for the camera - its a metal probe, with a camera and lights at one end and a USB at the other, something similar to this:

the aim is to get it in through the drain plug hole and look around

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I've seen little silver flakes (non-ferromagnetic) and a few of the little black bits. My numbers improved slightly on my last UOA so I'm holding off til the next one.
You could try a camera up the drain hole. If there are big chunks of plastic you might be able to see them.
Also, replace the timing chain tensioner if you haven't done that yet. It's cheap and easy to do. That is why the chain guides fail, the tensioner gets gummed up and quits tensioning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you decide to use a camera then you'll likely get a better field of view through the second drain plug, which is on the side of the lower oil pan. I also figure the lens would be less likely to get an oil bath. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I didnt think it'll be hard, just hate the mess of taking off oil pans (basically, anything involving liquids :) )
Get a mityvac, it's the only civilized way to change oil. If the oil is still good, just dump it back in. Done and done. The upper pan doesn't really drip that much when the oil has been removed...

·
Registered
342 Posts
No, you could drop the oil pan. If anything is broken in the heads, you'd know.

This isn't that difficult
Sure, but the OP didn't want to drop the oil pan and wanted to use a scope instead. If you're going to use a scope, you'll see more if you have more direct access.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Definitely need to drop the pan.
Few common things that come apart inside.

chain guide, you’d hear rattle
Bearing material, the sound of the motor would change

this is what could be - Parts of The Vanos assembly. This happened to me and two other members. Passenger side took a dump and bearing outside of the Vanos gears exploded or broke off. One of the ways to tell if it’s the Vanos bearing, its to drop the pan. If it’s what I think it could be you’d see pieces of metal that looks like mini train rails.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would drop the pan as well. It's not that hard.
I was one of the ones that had a vanos failure. Mine was driver side.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Which one of the similar junk do you have in your engine? the black plastic pieces or the tiny metal flakes?
I'll update once I get the Blackstone result for my oil.

When they say "keep an eye", why not go ahead and take care of it? if I get that these are tensioners or rod bearing material, the plan would be to fixing that right away. any reason not to act upon it immediately?
Did they send you the report yet? The first sample doesn't tell you a whole lot and can be misleading. I would do a short oil change interval then check it again. The first analysis I had done on my E46 M3 showed high copper content for whatever reason. I immediately thought of the rod bearings and had them done. Turns out the bearings were perfectly fine and not showing much wear. Gave me peace of mind, but clearly I had jumped the gun. All the analyses after that had normal copper levels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for missing all the last comments. for some reason, my email alerts stopped working.

I did not get the BS test results yet.
will post once they're back. In the meantime - parked the car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts