BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Clear vision bulbs from Bimmian and bad design of BMW side marker metal clips. Wasted hours fishing them out of the little hole with a magnet, yet still one is missing.

Part # anyone? Can't seem to find it in my state of mind right now.

The front corner blinkers are suppose to be their "twice as bright" silvervison type bulbs. But light output is 1/2 of OEM. No way am I gonna put that on my car. Safety first...

That coupled with poor BMW socket engineering, and to make a long story really short, the bulb BLEW OUT within 10 flashes of the hazzard (and I used gloves to install, no oil on the bulb), but not before I saw how dim it was compared to my OEM right side. I had to remove the front headlight to get out the socket, as it got STUCK. Bulb had to shatter to get it out.

I should have waited to remove the headlight, as my angelibrights are coming in 2-3 days, but it'll eat me up alive if I have to wait two days with a dead and frozen socket in my lamp assembly. Guess I'll take it apart again in a few days. All in all, I wasted a good 5 hours fishing for clips (3 times!), struggling with a light socket until I decided to pull the light out.... all to get back to OEM.

Rant over. :grrrrr:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Ahhh, that sucks.....I feel your pain....what's the procedure for removing the headlamp...I haven't even looked at mine....and I need to do the bulbs....is it pretty self explanatory?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ahhh, that sucks.....I feel your pain....what's the procedure for removing the headlamp...I haven't even looked at mine....and I need to do the bulbs....is it pretty self explanatory?
Well, if you are just swapping the turn signals or bulbs, you do not need to take out the headlight assembly. Even if you change the AngeliBirights, it may not be neccesary, depending on your patience, strength, size of hands.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=36860&st=0&p=391739&#entry391739 No headlight removal

http://angelibright.com/e60install.php Headlight Removal.

Removing the headlight assembly is pretty straight forward, as you just have to worry about scratching your bumper. It is not as easy as the instructions make it seem to be, but not all that bad. The reason why I had to get it out was b/c the stupid BMW light socket got stuck and will not come out not matter what. I actually had to remove the headlamp, use a set of pliers, and force / break the socket.

I've already ordered the ne wsocket (<$7 w/ discount). The will give me a new side marker assembly for the missing clip, as they pulled out a new one and saw that it is a new design now (clip is permanently attached to the marker). Just awaiting mananger approval for the free part.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thanks for the links!! Just wanted the info for worst case senario.....When you say side marker....are you referring to the side blinkers just below the fender grills?

Chris

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, those blinkers. If you ever remove them, you may lose your clips, too, as it separates easily from unit itself. The "new" ones are all one piece. Design flaw from BMW.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Whoops...double post

·
Registered
907 Posts
Did you replace them yet? I have the complete original set of blinkers off my car...I replaced them with tinted ones off ebay.......

Yes, those blinkers. If you ever remove them, you may lose your clips, too, as it separates easily from unit itself. The "new" ones are all one piece. Design flaw from BMW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts