BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new parcel shelf with the powered shade in a car that did not come with that option. I have also acquired a "Switch unit, center console" with the shade switch included. I am doing this on the premise that all North American cars came wired for all options...

Everything is good except, I don't see where to plug this thing in. Far as I can tell, the plug would be near the right hand rear passenger's head... like C pillar interior light... yet I don't see it. I have checked RealOEM and the DYI items on the M5Board and have not found any thing...

Is there a line that has to run back into the trunk and connect to the fuse/junction box on the right side?? And then would I need VIDA to activate the switch on the front control panel to use it??

Guidance appreciated.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The stock location for the connector for the sun shade is on the right side (passenger side in the US) of the rear seat back rest. The connector is a little over half way up.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutegtr: Thanks for the link. Great write up except he does show a photo of the actual connection of the shade to the car... granted that might seem quite trivial but in my case nearly critical!! :1: :eek:h: The rest of the wiring info and front seat removal, etc. is super... I may need all that yet.

The stock location for the connector for the sun shade is on the right side (passenger side in the US) of the rear seat back rest. The connector is a little over half way up.
RichardP: Also many thanks for the info... That said, I have just looked, and no go. The rear seat and shelf are all out... I pulled the sound deading forward and looked behind it.. nothing.. The wiring loom along the door and down into the sill has no extra 2 prong connectors or cut wire (in case someone removed the connection).... With the package shelf loosely in position I see where the pigtail from the shade motor reaches but see no connector?? Is there a Plan B??

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

behind rear bench seat right

<TABLE class=legendtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=1> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class=legendname>X1281</TD> <TD class=legendexplanation>In-line connector (3 -pin, Yellow), Sun blind motor</TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=legendname></TD> <TD class=legendexplanation></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AGM5: Thank you!! (let's hear it for FireFox) Just where RichardP said it would be.. but it's not. I guess I will have to do the long wiring job process from the link Absolutegtr provided. At least I know how now...

Thanks again to one and all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't want to hijack your thread but I'd really think twice about the rear shade. I have the rear parcel window shade and have been plagued with a rattle since day one. I chased all the normal rattle suspects but ended up living with it. It is my opinion that even when full retracted that the shade still is "loose" which would not normally be a problem except that it is installed directly over the speakers which cause vibration even at the lowest volume level, which is maddening.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to hijack your thread but I'd really think twice about the rear shade. I have the rear parcel window shade and have been plagued with a rattle since day one. I chased all the normal rattle suspects but ended up living with it. It is my opinion that even when full retracted that the shade still is "loose" which would not normally be a problem except that it is installed directly over the speakers which cause vibration even at the lowest volume level, which is maddening.
I have heard that the shade can vibrate annoyingly... As I had to "assemble" the one I am putting in, I see that that there are a total of 6 studs and nuts that hold the shade to the shelf and the shade to the "cover". I'm using rubber washers to help insulate the vibrations. That will not eliminate the shade unit itself form but how it will not be overtly obnoxious.

As the car sits outside more than I would like, I want to screen the interior from as much direct sunlight as possible.

I do appreciate you observations however.... other will appreciate it as well if they are too contimplating the "upgrade".

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts