BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey.
I've been dealing with a squeak chatter from my parcel shelf for all 3 years I've had this car.
I've had it off a few times and added a little foam and adjusted it quite a few times. always with the same result. It's quiet for a couple of days and then it starts to squeak/chatter again. The sound is high-pitched mostly like the edge of some thin plastic dragging across something harder, glass, metal, etc.

I remember reading a post here where someone suggested to wrap the outside edge of the shelf where it meets the rear windshield with the soft pile self-stick velcro (the loop of the hook and loop), I didn't do that, and if the squeak comes back, I might, but what I did do was notice that each of the child-safety brackets have a metal spacer under the bracket that is wrapped with double stick felt. most of it was worn off the spacers...

I cut some industrial soft-side velcro(loop) the thickness of the spacers and re-wrapped all of them. they fit nice and snug, locating the parcel shelf to the plastic bezels and best of all... no squeaks.
just get something like this and trim up the soft side

im not saying this myth is busted, but I am saying that I tried this and it worked beyond my expectations.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Congrats. I had noise back there as well for like 10 years. More so when the sunshade was down and not in use...so I kept it up most of the time. I finally got around to doing the rear shocks last fall. Just the act of removing the rear shelf and reinstalling it cured my noise. Very fortunate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts