BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know you'll think I'm either paranoid or anal...

But, believe it or not, for the first time since I've owned the car, I revved into the "orange zone" on the rev counter while the engine was cold (bone cold - ambient air temperature this AM was -10 C (14 F))

Of course, it was an accident (I won't tell you how...and save me the embarrasment, don't ask ;) ) and I only had it in the orange for a few seconds (probably no higher than 5000 rpm), but should I be concerned? :sad3: The engine wasn't on for more than 30 seconds when this happened.

Any thoughts? Again, sounds paranoid, but you never know... :eek:

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
947 Posts
i think the orange lights are there for people who buy an M car and dont realise that when cold, these engines must be pampered due to the tight tolerances involved with such technology.

As long as the 5k visit wasnt immediately on startup, then there should be enough oil at the top to protect you. I think 7k maybe a different matter, and 1 occasion is not likely to have hurt.

Im sure someone with more tech knowledge will chime in here, but i wouldnt worry too much, just dont do it again!!! :mad: :hihi: :byee55amg :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Although I have never done what you talked about, it definitely is not paranoid in my book. I would have freaked as anal as I am toward my car.

Good to know that other board members have reassured you.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Pull the engine- Immediately-

You need to get that to Discovery for CPR

:)

(Agree with the other posts- prolly only 1k past where the orahge was, it HAD been circulating oil for 30 secs, and it was only a short time- and I assume there was no load... you're good)

A

PS I always get stuff out of my pockets BEFORE sitting.. :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ard said:
PS I always get stuff out of my pockets BEFORE sitting.. :)
Close, but not quite. :p

Jeff

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most responses were "not to worry". But, I guess it will always bug me that I let this happen. At least the next time I'll be more careful.

And, no, I'm still not telling how this happened.

Thanks

Jeff :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts