BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Please don't give advise on something you have no knowledge.

Rod bearings ARE a problem on S85. No, you don't change bearings every 50K miles - you do it properly once with correct bearings and bolts and won't have to do again for the remainder of the engine life. The cost to replace the bearings at this point is what it takes to have these used cars running properly. If you haven't changed the bearings, you are on borrowed time, regardless of the mileage. Its not the matter of IF, but WHEN - nearly all S85 will fail if continued to be used with stick bearings. Some did at very low mileages with proper warm up techniques. That's just facts.
sorry.. im not entertaining such ridiculous affirmation

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
you do it properly once with correct bearings and bolts and won't have to do again for the remainder of the engine life.
Nobody knows if this is true or not.

BE bearings haven't been around for long enough to assess them properly. Are they better than OEM? Probably. But until there's a significant population of cars running them 60k miles past installation...

...and I've heard nothing to suggest that OEM bolts aren't fine.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
sorry.. im not entertaining such ridiculous affirmation
Funny, I thought the same when I read some idiotic comment about bearings failing due to warm ups. If you don't bother to read what people have posted in this forum over the years (and S65 side of things as well) then there's no point discussing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Funny, I thought the same when I read some idiotic comment about bearings failing due to warm ups. If you don't bother to read what people have posted in this forum over the years (and S65 side of things as well) then there's no point discussing.
mate... how many people on the forums had this issue comparation with cars that were built...

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
943 Posts
Nobody knows if this is true or not.

BE bearings haven't been around for long enough to assess them properly. Are they better than OEM? Probably. But until there's a significant population of cars running them 60k miles past installation...

...and I've heard nothing to suggest that OEM bolts aren't fine.
?? There are plenty of people who have been running better bearings (be it BE, or something else) and haven't had bearing-related failures since replacement. There ARE cars that had the mileage in 50K-80K since replacement, though I have to agree there is not a SIGNIFICANT number to draw any conclusion yet. But then again, we had cars fail as low as 3K with stock bearings, so use your logic to draw conclusions on your own at this time.

Never said OEM bolts were a problem. But there are better fasteners out there.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
TexaZ3
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing