BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My car is painted BMW Brilliant Red, also called "BrilliantRot", which is the bright flat red, non metallic.

It has started to fade. In addition to this, the bonnet had an argument with some nasty roofing tar, then the means I had to use to remove it have caused scratches and marks.

The bonnet is faded anyway, so needs painting. The bonnet (hood) has a clear-coat on it, something I noticed because T-Cut and similar polishes take a layer of red paint off the rest of the car, but not that.

In addition, both front wings have been painted with non-BMW paint at some point, which has now faded to a pinkish tinge, not the surface white tinged oxidisation of the rest of the car.

So, I duly phoned BMW, who put me on the the local company they use for body repairs and painting.

They have quoted £681.50 inc Vat, that`s $1,276 or €995, to paint the bonnet and two wings. That is with me removing them, delivering and collecting afterwards, so no fitting charges.

The breakdown was roughly £400 labour and the rest materials.

They also said it was a whole days labour for these bits, which after consutling a calculator and calendar, presumably means it takes them four days plus to paint an entire car...

(Just for reference, they also said they could do the whole car for about £2940 to £4110.)

Doesn`t this seem a little expensive for painting three bits of metal off the car?

At this money, I`d expect them to get it gold plated by Virgins and delivered back via helicopter!

Has anyone here had any panels or bits painted? What sort of costs were involved and how good are various places?

Ivan.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
The only experience I have is getting my last car resprayed 4 years ago - and even then it was a £2500 job at VW, or £1200 job by an independent.

On the surface it looked a good job and took over two weeks, but trim was replaced incorrectly and started to rub against the new paint and they had not removed widows and rubbers so there was bare undercoat left just below the windscreen rubber.

I don't fancy a £4k job though - the car is only worth just more than that!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Sounds like a lot of money to me. A bodyshop I've used before in Exeter quoted £400 to repaint wings, bonnet, bumper and mirror backs.

They repaired my front bumper once, and the repair and paintwork were top notch.

By the way, Ivan - Nice to meet you at the Ring. See you there again next time. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
By the way, Ivan - Nice to meet you at the Ring. See you there again next time. :cheers:
LOL. I`ve not yet posted all the pics and done my "m5board" writeup of my first time there!

I`m not sure as I`ve not yet examined the 2hrs of video I shot, but if it was your car alongside the V10 Ring-Taxi as it passed under the gantry on Easter Sunday, then I have you on tape!!

Ivan.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Ivan, a good full respray should be in the 2 grand region, although for a full strip and paint I would expect figures closer to 4k, I think you should expect to pay 400 - 600
for wings and bonnet.
Look forward to seeing your Nurburgring picture's, I also noticed that Andy E mentioned a video (as do you), any chance of up loading them on the board??
Cheers,
Phil.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Hi Ivan
The front of my car has been painted 3 times. The only original paint on the car is the roof & n/s door panels (Avus blau)
That job should cost £500 plus vat from an independant at absolute maximum.
That should include any removal of trim etc. I would add that you should not be removing any panels to paint your car. Why would you need to. panelling is done prior to colour & clear coat.

It sounds like your cars paint has faded a lot. Most repected painters would flash the base coat at least 75 mm into the doors thereby losing the panel to panel colour difference. Then they would paint a colour tinted washcoat laquer over that extending some 150mm past the panel edge & finish with a clear coat over the whole front door.

Most paint shops do not use 2 pack paint & clearcoat due to the very low emission requirements required by law once you exceed a certain tonnage of paint usage. This force most to adopt the Aqua (water based ) based base colour system. You have to seal water based paint using a clear 2 pack top coat (gives off cyanide emissions as a by product of application)

No panels should be removed from the vehicle. Only the trims, indicators & washer nozzles should be removed.

Hope this helps

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
236 Posts
I paid £360 cash for a bonnet respray and a few small rust spots on the wings and petrol cap. Nice job.

Pip

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Has anyone here had any panels or bits painted? What sort of costs were involved and how good are various places?

Ivan.[/QUOTE]
--------------------------

Hi Ivandias

I had a repaint of the bonnet and front bumper and wings, cost was 550gbp, but that was in Sweden. They did a fantastic job, they even blended it in to the doors as the new paint they said was slightly lighter?!?!

So if you fancy saving some money get on the ferry at Newcastle and go to Göteborg. The car plus passenger price is around 200gbp.

Still cheaper than the UK I think?

Sorry.... It was just a thought, seems a bit silly going to Sweden for a respray.

Rgds
Jahangeer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts