BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All
You may remember my recent thread about the number of damaged lamps my car has aqquired in recent months.

I have now installed a product onto all my lamps & indicators from a company called Paintshield (www.paintshield.co.uk)
The kit arrived on overnight post in a stout card tube. Upon inspection the package comes complete with fitting instructions for a dry or wet installation plus a plastic film applicator.

These instructions need to be read very carefully but once understood it becomes clear that the preparation is key to a successful install.
The templates for all the lamp glass & indicators are pre-etched in to a 1mm thick roll of clear self adhesive 3M film.

Using a sharp pair of scissors, cut out the templates very carefully.
Clean the headlamps with a fine cutting polish & soft cloth, then clean with a water vinegar solution dispensed from a spray bottle.

Allow to evaporate, then offer up the templates to each lamp to assure fitment. Heat a lamp & film template to 20 degrees C min to allow the adhesive to have maximum effect.

This part of the install differs from the instructions as supplied for a dry fit.
The recommended intall for each piece of film it remove the backing paper completely from the film and apply directly to the lamp from the centre & work outward using the plastic applicator to smooth the film & remove bubbles.
This method can go wrong & strongly recommend that this technique is followed for the wet method of install ONLY that allows for some slight relocation of the film & subsequent removal of air bubbles.

For dry installation, I recommend peeling back the film from the top edge by no more than 20mm, then tacking this exposed part to the top of the lamp or in the case of the fog lamp, work from the outside edge of the lamp in to the centre of the vehicle, ensuring correct positioning, smooth the film onto the lamp while you slowly pull the backing paper down, all the time slowly smoothing the film & ensuring no bubbles are left.

This method allows you to use the applicator only on a small part of the film template at a time as the rest of the film is still attached to the backing.
Please allow 48 hrs for maximum adhesive curing prior to using a pressure washer etc.

I can only say that this kit is 99 % invisible & is worth the money & time expended to protect the lamps & for the cost of one lamp lens , you can save yourself the hassle of having to strip out the grill or glueing a new lens in via Andy's excellent alternative.

Cost delivered is £46 inclusive.
I was so pleased with their service & product that I have approached their MD Tom Wakeford to see if a group discount is available.
He is happy to offer a reduction for group buys on the lamp protection kit.

There is also a full front end protection kit which includes hood leading edge, mirrors, grill surround , vunerable areas of the bumper bar, leading edges of the front wings & of course the lights. This is quite involved & is best left to an installer... This kit is surely a must have for any log term M5 owner & comes with a 4 yr guarantee...!

Should anyone be interested in this protective system, please let me know so I can confirm any interest via email.
I would also be happy to install this kit for anyone who likes the idea but is nervous of applying it.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would be intrested as I am about to respray the front of my car to hide the 15 years of stone chips, and this stuff looks like it will protect it very well.

BobZ

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I agree mate. Sounds like a good idea. Shame you didn't suggest it before my headlight got smashed a few weeks back!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have the 3M film over here in the States. Highly recommended. I lost a $100 lamp 2 weeks after buying it and that made the decision easy.

Hertfordshire. I have a friend that lives in Herts. I haven't been over since 1992 but did hang out in the local pub and have a few pints. Very nice area.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simonal said:
I would be interested sounds like a good investment.

Simon
Hi Simonal
Yes this stuff is a good investment .My car is kitted with it now including my new clear indicators & repeaters.....ooooh...bling bling. Could not resist as my old ones were chipped & the cost was £31 inc vat for all the indicators & repeaters (4 pieces) from GSF.

With regard to the Paint shield film specifically, I thought that we might get more interest than this as it requires 10 interested parties to get some discount. I wont benefit from this as I have already paid full retail for mine.
Its got to be worth their while too but nos are reqd.

I will wait till Monday & then approach Paint shield to see what I can get.
Those Guys in OZ may want to consider an Australian Agent which I believe does exist as the postal charge will exceed the cost of the item by some degree.

Lets see how it goes.

Farrell

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hertfordshire1 said:
farrell said:
My car is kitted with it now including my new clear indicators & repeaters.....ooooh...bling bling

I hope you got the rears too??

Otherwise :nono:
They are on their way mate so its awork in progress thing.
Car not being used much so no big deal at moment.

Big Brakes this weekend......

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
:15: :15: :15: :15: :15:

Good work Farrel!!!!!

I've just smashed my 3rd high-beam and 2nd foglight, some come on through with the foil-kit for the lights. My front bumper is the unpainted-lower-half variety, so I'll skip on that set.

Good to see you shaking up the suppliers!!!

Kind Regards,

Steve

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stevie said:
:15: :15: :15: :15: :15:

Good work Farrel!!!!!

I've just smashed my 3rd high-beam and 2nd foglight, some come on through with the foil-kit for the lights. My front bumper is the unpainted-lower-half variety, so I'll skip on that set.

Good to see you shaking up the suppliers!!!

Kind Regards,

Steve
Thanks for your kind words Steve.
I have in fact just spoken to the MD of Paintshield, Tom Wakeford.
The deal he has offered the E34 M5 section of the board is amazing.
Its so good that I have been asked not to discuss costs on open forum.

Suffice to say that its cheaper than the cheapest Hella lens you can buy from GSF.

If you are interested, please PM or email me for dettails & how to approach Tom Wakeford & Paintshield.

I can only say that I wish I had got this offer when I bought the kit...!
Such is life.

The only thing that is not discounted is postage & the VAT. UK postage is about £5 to £6. Europe & rest of world, please speak direct or Paint Shield may put you in touch with a dealer more geographically appropriate.

Regards
Farrell

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fellas
I hope you dont mind but I would like to add some further comments to this thread by means of an update.
Since applying this product to my car some 7 months ago, my appetite for front end light lenses has ceased.
It has not been used regularly for commuting but when it has been used it has been hard use for enjoyment & considerable Autobahn use.

Im so impressed with the product that I am due to make the Journey to Paintshield UK head office in Grantham , Lincs to have further areas of the car attended to which will focus on my M-Technic mirrors that I purchased recently.
I will post pictures of the work but its more likely that the work will be best appreciated by examination in person.
Its almost invisible on my headlights & no discoloration or contamination.

Results to follow shortly.

Farrell

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
looked good even under close scrutiny at the meet darren, and glad to hear it has stood the test of time, I will def look at getting the lights done I think. But obviously after the interior!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts