BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have no less than 7 dents on the M. All there when I bought the car... I am going to have a trusted shop/shop owner (25+ years in the biz) take care of them next week. Most are on the doors and should present no problem. There are two in more unique locations, and the one on the front passenger wing, he mentioned removal of the wheel and wheel lining. I want to ensure that he causes no damage to the vehicle while accessing these dents and just wanted to see if anyone here can lend advice on the best way to access these two panels. The other is right behind the fuel filler door.

Any other general PDR tips? Never had it done. I know the M5 is well put together so the less he has to take apart the better. I don't want holes being drilled for access, etc.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
You say "trusted" bit are questioning his methods. With that said I do understand your concerns. The rear dent he will be able to access my removing the passenger side trunk liner. As for the front fender ding, he should be able to pop it out without needing access to the rear of the dent.

It all depends on his array of tools and knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
Much depends on the type of ding, e.g. is the metal stretched or paint cracked? Some can be worked with glue pulls on the outside alone. The best PDR guys immediately know where and how much to tap (as in push).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You say "trusted" bit are questioning his methods. With that said I do understand your concerns. The rear dent he will be able to access my removing the passenger side trunk liner. As for the front fender ding, he should be able to pop it out without needing access to the rear of the dent.

It all depends on his array of tools and knowledge.
He does good work. Thats a fact. But sometimes pros have methods that I may not find acceptable. Like drilling holes for access, etc. And even the best can sometimes be careless. If he has to remove the wheel liner, I'd want to make sure its reassembled correctly. Things like that.

I don't know much about the process, but he seemed confident that wheel liner removal would be the necessary, and didn't seem concerned with it.

Much depends on the type of ding, e.g. is the metal stretched or paint cracked? Some can be worked with glue pulls on the outside alone. The best PDR guys immediately know where and how much to tap (as in push).
All these dings are "minor" in the sense that all paint is intact and perfect and they are not sharp, creased, etc. My expectation when complete is that none will be visible or noticeable, at all.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
The front ding should be no problem with the liner pulled back, it won't need fully removing.

The rear ding may be accessible from inside, it depends exactly where it is, it may need a lug gluing to the wing then pulling out with an impact puller.

A good dent guy should have no problems with either, unless the area has previously been painted and filled.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The front ding should be no problem with the liner pulled back, it won't need fully removing.

The rear ding may be accessible from inside, it depends exactly where it is, it may need a lug gluing to the wing then pulling out with an impact puller.

A good dent guy should have no problems with either, unless the area has previously been painted and filled.
Sounds like you know your stuff; do you know of a good dent guy - someone in N Yorks may be close enough for me to put on my "useful contacts" list, although it's a big county........

Sorry for TC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts