BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched already and found arguments / discussions as to whehter or not you are supposed to paint these. I have decided I have nothing to lose and I am going to paint the sensor that I am about to fit so I am here asking advice as to the best way to go about painting them. I had one sanded down and touched up and it made no difference to its performance so I am quite happy.

Do I need to prime them with a spray primer, then paint then laquer? Or is there another better way to do this. Obviously I intend to do this off the car and then fit them afterwards.

Anyone got any good tips?

(Colour is Le Mans Blue)

Thanks

Craig

·
Registered
524 Posts
I rubbed mine down to bare metal, primed painted and laqured. Well when I say I my paint man, no issues in nearly 2 years of operation.

Mike

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Plain sensors mate.

Mike got 4 of them and only used 2. I have the other 2 here. Plain old CB paint ove the OEM plastic non painted sensors.

Many people have done it this way. The only downside if anything is you invalidate your BMW warranty by painting OEM plastic sensors, but the cynic in me says thats simply so you buy the more expensive pre painted items

·
Registered
524 Posts
Alright chaps, when I received the sensors they were silver. I rubbed all the old laquer and silver paint off with fine wet & dry and gave them to the guy who was painting rear rust spots just above the rear bumper.

Reactions: jamiepeers

·
Registered
524 Posts
PM'd.........

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could anyone be a bit more specific here.. My car is Le Mans Blue.. so I am going to get some Le Mans Blue from the dealer or source some regular car paint in this colour. Was is the procedure? I have bought brand new parking sensors, they do not appear to have any kind of finish on them at all. The sensors are black, the outer casing is black plastic and the innter (sensor) part seem to be more metalic.

Do I need to sand these even now? Can I simply paint straight on top? If I paint on top do I need a primer? What kind of primer? How many coats.. I have searched all over the board and the internet and there are some guides but it often seems to be a bit vague for my liking. Can anyone give me link to or provide me with some quite detailed information in terms of exact procedure, paint type, laquer if required, primer and so on... This would be a great help!

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I think you'll definatally need some sort of plastic primer, otherwise the paint won't stick properly. Probably best to do the primer as thin as possible to give minium interference to the ultrasonics.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks mate, but I need a bit more detail here. I know about primer, and there are plastic primers, normal primers. I really want a detailed step by step approach to this. I have a spare sensor I can practice on so I am not going to go at it with the new sensors right away. What I need to know is.

1 - What EXACTLY is the process here from start to finish, where do I need to mask things off, do I need to put something between the centre disc and the housing plastic to stop paint getting in. Do I need to sand anything, do I need a coat of primer, paint, laquer. What precisely is the process. Everything I have read on the board, and also on the net is extremely vague up to this point. It's either, 'yeah I painted them no worries' and so on I really could do with a lot more information.

2 - What products should I use to do this? I have put a link to some paint, Halfords paint matching I have heard is rubbish. So what exactly would anyone recommend (I am based in the UK).

I have heard mixed things from several people and I am trying to nail this down now.

This is my research to date not inclusive and not including numerous forum searches:

spray painting parking sensors - STdriveRS
Can I paint my Parking sensors? | Technical matters | Back Room Forum | Honest John
Frequently Asked Questions about Car Parking Sensors - Reversing Aids - Reversing Cameras - UK Supplier - Same day dispatch
Parking Sensors - Colouring Sensors or using Pre-Coloured
Painting Car Parking Sensors? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
Colour Code Rear Parking Sensors - Lexus Owners Club
BMW: DIY Painting Parking Sensors • 5 series: BMW Forum • BMWLand: BMW Forum - Where Power Meets Control

I have done my homework guys, so far the consensus here is an etching primer?

Help would be appreciated, I am trying to get this sorted out and so far I am struggling. I don't want to paint these sensors till I have the required information to do so. I apprecaite all the good intentions but guys it's detail I need here.. thank you again and please be patient with me!

Craig

·
Registered
524 Posts
OK Craig I see your getting a bit pi22ed with this, all I can do I tell you what I done to sort my sensors out. I bought 4 off e-bay and they came silver pre-painted from the dealer. They looked factory finished as the paint level was the same on all four, i.e. the distance of paint coverage was exactly the same as if they had been in some sort of holding jig probably being painted in batches when the car were being done.

The paint was even across the front face of the sensor and came down the side about 10mm. I used a very fine 1200 or 1600 wet and dry to remove all traces of paint regardless of location i.e. plastic or metal. As I was rubbing down the front face the bare metal of the sensor became exposed. I rubbed further until all the metal of the inner part of the sensor was clean and free of old silver paint. The plastic outside bit also got rubbed down to remove paint I kept going until all the paint was removed from the plastic and the finish was smooth.

The paint guy painted and laqured them. Can't tell you exactly if he used plastic primer. I'm pretty certain he would have used the same tuff as he was using to paint the car. Metal primer, paint, then laquer. These have been on the car for nearly 2 years and are OK, to be certain I am speaking nothing but the truth I checked them before up close to see if anything untoward was going on but they are the same as when I put them on the car.

If you have non painted ones at the moment I would not bother with any rubbing down, just paint them as you would anything else. I have none painted ones in the corner mouldings, btw. Plus I doubt if any BMW dealers would prime them with any special plastic primer, certain they would just paint them as is.

Hope this is of some use to you.............

Mike

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That information was useful, so it seems that I should just try to paint these pretty much exactly like I would paint any other part of the car. I am going to call a couple of bodyshops tomorrow and ask them what the process is as well. When I get something concrete I will post it back and continue this threat until we get a clear resolution so that others can follow :)

Thanks again Mike

Craig

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah no doubt its something like that, making much fuss about nowt, mine have worked perfectly since getting them painted by a Ford dealer.............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts