BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am looking at repainting my rear bumper due to a crack from a car that parked next to me (I hate NYC drivers!!! :mad: )

The problem is, every time I think of painting a bumper I cringe because I picture someone giving me a light tap or scrape from the side and the whole bumper started to spiderweb or peel.

I talked to the body shop and he said they use all the proper additive flexing material, however it is still not as good as a factory bumper paint job and although he says it should peel or crack from light taps he cannot guarantee it.

I had my previous cars painted and after the car was bumped the bumper cracked and then started to peel. Is there anyway to prevent this?

Any body work experts here?

Let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hey guys,
I am looking at repainting my rear bumper due to a crack from a car that parked next to me (I hate NYC drivers!!! :mad: )

The problem is, every time I think of painting a bumper I cringe because I picture someone giving me a light tap or scrape from the side and the whole bumper started to spiderweb or peel.

I talked to the body shop and he said they use all the proper additive flexing material, however it is still not as good as a factory bumper paint job and although he says it should peel or crack from light taps he cannot guarantee it.

I assume here you meant to say "not" and if so, then you need to find another body shop

I had my previous cars painted and after the car was bumped the bumper cracked and then started to peel. Is there anyway to prevent this?

The secret sauce in any body shop is all about the preparation. The bumper should be stripped for a clean adhesion and all parts removed NOT taped if they don't do that then find someone who will. A good paint job should be between 500-600 for what I am suggesting be done. I'll let someone else address the repairing of the "crack" and what should be done for that work to be successful.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A proper repair if bumper should involve removing bumper. The cracks in paint should be sanded smooth and primed if needed. A crack in the plastic itself would need to be looked at very closely. There are a variety of products to repair bumpers and plastics with. When properly done, it should be as strong as the bumper was before the accident. If a crack is all the way through I would recommend replacing cover. If you have factory paint on bumper, you do not want to strip paint. It offers excellent adhesion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts