BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well at long last I have finally got my alloys how i wanted them.. I've been wanting to do this for some time after seeing them on another board members car a year or so ago....

Step 1, get someone to do the work. In comes DavidO eager as ever to help out. So one Saturday a few weeks ago I to Dave's house in the sticks (think Last of the Summer Wine and you'll be close), where we remove my t-star covers.

This then leads to a second problem, freshly painted covers on my less than perfect rimms ( i am fussy) wouldn't have looked great and additionally a closer look at my tyres reveal that they were pretty shagged too...

Step 2, get my alloys professionally repainted and new rubber. Thanks to Simonals spare set of 18" M paras, my wheels were removed and sent to Lepsons in Gillingham, where after 4 days and £890 I collected them looking brand new and wrapped in gorgeous new PS2 rubber (interestingly made in Brazil, not sure if thats a bad thing)...

Step 3, while my alloys were being refurbed, Dave was busy sand blasting my covers and doing all the prep work at his local paint shop. These were then primmed and painted the same colour as the lower skirt cover on my M5.

Step 4, refitting covers and wheels. Yesterday I took the car back to Dave's and thankfully we set about the task at his local mechanics John G's, where Dave spends many an hour learning from this bloody nice bloke and and excellent BMW mechanic. I wish he were closer to me!!

To say that the re-fit wasn't problem free would be an understatement..
BMW supplied the wrong bolts, that were of shocking quailty, too long and 60p each!!!! We were alerted to this when, Dave snapped a bolt in half as we fitted the first cover!

This was soon fixed by a visit to the local hardware shop (good call John) where we bought 40 standard hex bolts (no fancy bihex crap here) and after John drilled out the snapped bolt from the cover...
Interestly BMW charged us £26 for the 40 odd bolts that Dave and I had ordered ( 20 each). The local hardware store charged us £3.56 for 44 bolts!

We then re-tapped every thread on each t- star, to remove any possible paint and set about refitting....

With the new bolts, we were flying and soon all the covers were fitted and the wheels back on the car, torqued and tyre pressures set.

Must say, i'm absolutely thrilled with the results...

A massive thanks to Dave, who had the hardest job of all and it wasn't even for his own car, John G is a legend, who didn't mind us taking over his shop and eventually stopped him working on other customers cars to help out. Simon cheers for the 18", you have now helped me and Baker Jnr get our rimms looking crisp!

Next a trip to http://www.gtechniq.techniqgroup.com/index.htm for the paint to be sorted and i might be on my way to being happy again!

Below are some pics, enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
nice work Steve!

you could have just bought my set of sebring stars & had them on in 15 minutes! :hihi:

we need a nice side on pic of the whole car tho!

bit like the one of you grasscutting at the first Nurburgring meeting that I have posted before!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Great results Steve!!! The car is looking in fantastic shape.

Am glad to see that you opted for new rubber as well. :applause:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hi Stevie lad, how are ya, wheels look super duper.. I was gonna get mine done on my touring but never got round to it....nice one

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the comments guys.

The car was dropped off at G|techniq this morning, to spend the next 2 days getting all the scratches and years of dirt and grime removed from the paint.

They are doing the exterior, alloys, all plastics, windows and then cleaning the leather inside.

I'm told the outside of the car will look good as new and i can't wait!!!

more pictures to follow!

Steve

·
Registered
678 Posts
Steve Boy,

Those Wheels look f-in great mate.

When my P-Zeros finally wear-out at the ring in April this year, I'm taking them-off for a re-furb - I'd like the spokes and wheel-inners painted in the same shade of grey, with the outer rims in the standard silver..........

Nice one.

Terry.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Looks great, well done!

Cant wait to see the final pics of the car all polished up with the new rims...

Lantz

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Quality bit of writing Steve ......you should post more often !

I hasten to add , that had Faz not have been on holiday we would have headed to his to refit the covers ....... at least you get a coffee and a biscuit there !

TK , if that missed call that I had on my mobile from you today was for a similar job you are going to have to organise another fantastic night at El Tel's Bar and Bistro to persuade me ......rubbing those covers down by hand is as much fun as sticking rusty pins in your eyes !

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Lepsons in Gillingham ???
Is that Kent ?

I would be interested to know how much they charge just
for rims only...

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Yes , Lepsons are based in Gillingham , Kent , Alan .

I must confess to having been quoted only £50 per TS wheel in the past and suspect that they smelt money dripping off Steve when he called !

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They quoted me when I arrived Davy boy, so clearly rocking up in the Rangey was my undoing!!

The wheels were £65 + VAT each because they are 2 colours. First they paint the entire rim black then have to mask off and spray the leading edges the silver. If i was less fussy they could have done the whole rim silver for £55. Also worth noting its cheaper if the wheels are off the car already..

Must say, they came up really well and will certainly be looked after!

Steve

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Steve Boy,

Those Wheels look f-in great mate.

When my P-Zeros finally wear-out at the ring in April this year, I'm taking them-off for a re-furb - I'd like the spokes and wheel-inners painted in the same shade of grey, with the outer rims in the standard silver..........

Nice one.

Terry.
That's exactly what i've planned for mine Terry! Only not sebring, granite silver, as that's what our contrast skirts are.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Davey-Boy,

Do you reckon your paint garage will paint the inner-section on my M-Paras once I've had them re-furbed ?

Let me know !

TK.
Terry , One never knows what each day is going to bring . The important thing is to be open and ready for it .......

I swore that I would never prep another set of M5 wheels again .

However , how can I refuse a man that has provided me with a spare bed for the night and always been a friend ?

I will ask them , but cannot make any promises ........

D

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Cheers chaps,

I will look them up soon & get my spare set done :M5thumbs:

As I have random covers / no covers I will simply get them repainted
and have the centre spokes black....and fit my old P-zeros....and smoke
them to death on selected days of the year:cheers:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Do you think there's much work in doing this for a set of turbines :hihi:

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Do you think there's much work in doing this for a set of turbines :hihi:
Tony .....I'll give you a clue .......I decided today , to leave my turbines shabby ......solid mechanics are my goal .......fcuk cosmetics !

1 - 20 of 52 Posts