BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't handle the amber corners any longer so a few weeks ago I decided to order a pair of euro decals from Ebay. Once received them I quickly realized they were total garbage and looked horrible. I decided to take them to my local sign shop guy and had him scan them in and see what he could do. What we came up with was a reprint on a frosted vinyl. They ended up looking pretty good, but not quite it as the amber still showed through at certain angles/ lighting.
Here is the frosted material......

The frosted vinyl started peeling after a week or so, so I pulled them off.

Next I had the shop guy reverse the images to turn them into stencils so I could paint the lenses....

Sounded like a good idea....but I couldn't get it to lay down right, so I cut it to make each side 3 sections so I could lay each side of the stencil down on the lense, then mask off..

I tried some of the VHT Night Shades stuff but after the 3rd attempt I gave up on the stuff. It kept wanting to run/ sag.
What I ended using was Dupli Color Low Gloss Black with ceramic.

End result........turned out pretty good. Nice smooth and even matte finish.

Opinions?

This will hold me over for now.....and until Audioguy gets his prototype inserts into production. Here is the thread...
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...-com/123465-get-rid-ugly-amber-corners-3.html

Other option is to pull out the amber inserts and wrap them with vinyl.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks better than the ugly orange. Did you consider having a bodyshop spray them black sapphire to be a perfect match?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks better than the ugly orange. Did you consider having a bodyshop spray them black sapphire to be a perfect match?
I did actually, but honestly I didn't want them to match the black sapphire. I don't think that would look good in my opinion, I think some contrast is needed. That's like color matched wheels.....not my cup O tea.:shakemitkopf:
They match the matte grilles, so I think they look good enough. I'll leave them painted as is for now.

Reactions: Mark Carson

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It looks great! Huge improvement. Thanks for sharing!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks fella's

Oh and seriously on those ebay euro decals...don't waste your money....they look like *****, at least the ones I received.

·
Registered
707 Posts
looks nice, but I am afraid it is not the best way to do it. :D
It might come off easily when you will start hitting the flies in hot summer day. ;)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
looks nice, but I am afraid it is not the best way to do it. :D
It might come off easily when you will start hitting the flies in hot summer day. ;)
This paint is pretty durable so I don't think bug splats will be an issue.....but if the paint comes off, so be it. As mentioned in my first post, this is a temporary fix until Audioguy gets his inserts into production.....if that doesn't pan out, then I'll just take my inserts out and paint them directly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts