BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Painted my calipers with a caliper paint kit from Ebay. Was a great system and it took me less than an hour to complete. This seems to be a good paint that uses a hardener you mix in with the paint. I didn't use the supplied paint brush but used a 1" foam brush and it worked great. There's lots of paint color options too.
Here's the paint kit link for $37.99 with free shipping.

RED G2 BRAKE CALIPER PAINT EPOXY STYLE KIT FREE SHIP: eBay Motors (item 360237424465 end time Sep-19-10 20:26:28 PDT)

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Looks good! It's on my list of "to do's" as well. There is a thread on the M5 forum where the guy also added an //M decal- looks really sharp. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks great, looking to do mine in white. One question, did you remove the calipers and mask off the pads or did you mask off the discs and such?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No masking at all. It's a brush-on paint so it's not sloppy with the 1" foam brush. No runs, no drips, no errors! Supposed to have high heat resistance too. The kit comes with a brake cleaning spray that evaporates very quickly. Very easy to use kit with awesome results.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
yeah I've been wanting to do this mod for a long time, but just cant decide on a color to go with the IB.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
No masking at all. It's a brush-on paint so it's not sloppy with the 1" foam brush. No runs, no drips, no errors! Supposed to have high heat resistance too. The kit comes with a brake cleaning spray that evaporates very quickly. Very easy to use kit with awesome results.
LOOKS REAL NICE. I assume you had to remove the wheels?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Looks good! It's on my list of "to do's" as well. There is a thread on the M5 forum where the guy also added an //M decal- looks really sharp. Thanks for sharing!
I also just had it done on my M6 earlier this month. Here are a few pics...

here is my M6 getting done recently in black with ///M decals (in my opinion the most OEM looking stickers. I have seen some pretty crappy M decals):

Painted....sticker applied but Before clearcoat:

Final Product:

Looks great, looking to do mine in white. One question, did you remove the calipers and mask off the pads or did you mask off the discs and such?
I had mine done in white on my M3...It looks good with black wheels...not so much with the stock silver wheels IMO.
Here is my E93 M3 with the white calipers...and white wheels

Here is my E93 M3 with the white calipers...and black wheels

LOOKS REAL NICE. I assume you had to remove the wheels?
I would assume so as well, as open as the spoke design is on the M6, I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I've been wanting to do this mod for a long time, but just cant decide on a color to go with the IB.
Gold might look good...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The black & white calipers look perfect on those cars guys! Nice! Anyone have a source for those nice M decals?

Yeah, I removed the wheels and just carefully painted everything red that looked like it should be. It was easy with the foam brush.

·
8,376 Posts
Similar to Mike / NCM6Cabrio, Painting the calipers has been my project that I keep putting off for a while now too.
Simply just enjoying driving the beast and didnt want down time.

It's been almost a year now since I ordered the decal and purchased the high temp paint.

I hope to do this mod soon as it is starting to get cold here in Seattle.

I purchased my high temp paint at local auto store.
I ordered my decal from GrafiXpressions - Express yourself in vinyl form!...
Contact is Pete.

Price for custom order for 4 M6 Decals is $35.00.
Since he now has the pattern - it may be cheaper now if you folks order from him.

Here's the decal I ordered, hopefully paint my calipers soon and put this on.
I am thinking of going silver color on my calipers to make it stand out a little since my beast is Indiannapolis Red.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here is my E93 M3 with the white calipers...and black wheels

Wow that looks as good as I had hoped!! Guess I'll be ordering the paint and the stickers...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow.:eek: Those look great! I was thinking about going with a blue to match the BMW logo. What do you guys think? It would go on my black / black beast. Will definately order the stickers. Once again, thanks Dan for the great info!

Attachments

·
8,376 Posts
You're always welcome Steve.

Caliper color decision - I think the best approach would be to ask one of our talented Adobe Photoshop guru members here to chime in and provide us with caliper color samples with our beasts.

In my opinion - if you are to go with the same color as your car - it has to be a perfect color match or it will clash.

If you want the calipers to stand out a lot - either yellow or gold color.

If you want your calipers to stand out a little - silver.

My 2 cetns.

Wow.:eek: Those look great! I was thinking about going with a blue to match the BMW logo. What do you guys think? It would go on my black / black beast. Will definately order the stickers. Once again, thanks Dan for the great info!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks, Dan.

You're the best!

·
Registered
147 Posts
OK, so does anyone know what the Pantone (PMS) color number is for the blue in our roundels?:dunno:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
wow that's nice , thinking about painting mine in blue .

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The black & white calipers look perfect on those cars guys! Nice! Anyone have a source for those nice M decals?

Yeah, I removed the wheels and just carefully painted everything red that looked like it should be. It was easy with the foam brush.
Well I think you did a great job. I think the black would look classier on my black on black beast. Wait... I could care less about class, so I think I'll go with the demonic red as well when I get around to it!! :D

1 - 20 of 141 Posts