BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past couple of years, these white spots have shown up on my rear bumper. The spots cannot be removed, but the dealer has gotton approval to replaint the bumper for free from BMW. Has anyone had their Carbon black or other color bumper painted without any problems? I also have my car up for sale, does anyone think this would detract a potental buyer from purchasing my car? Lets assume the dealer has a good body shop.

Regards,

JDS M5

·
Registered
97 Posts
JDS M5 said:
Over the past couple of years, these white spots have shown up on my rear bumper. The spots cannot be removed, but the dealer has gotton approval to replaint the bumper for free from BMW. Has anyone had their Carbon black or other color bumper painted without any problems? I also have my car up for sale, does anyone think this would detract a potental buyer from purchasing my car? Lets assume the dealer has a good body shop.

Regards,

JDS M5
I had the same issue: battery acid from the vent tube. BMW paid for it but I took it to my preferred bodyshop (they do incredible work). I think the bodyshop bill was about $2500. My bodyshop guy explained that you don't want to just paint over battery acid so they basically removed the rear bumper and trunklid, stripped off the paint and started from scratch.

I took lots of pictures before and after just in case I ever needed to explain to a potential second owner why the rear was painted.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
JDS M5 said:

Regards,

JDS M5
Use clay if it's road grime or something stuck to the paint.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Just make sure the shop does top-shelf work. These days yoiu won't have to worry about an exact paint and texture match. My shop does such a good job I cannot tell the repair from OE. The paint match, under any kind of light, is perfect. Don't settle for less - you'll never have to make excuses...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Does anyone has any picture tha you can share...?

How long did you start noticing this white spot...

I don't see any white spot so far on my CB .... (knock on wood).

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
97 Posts
J Irwan said:
Does anyone has any picture tha you can share...?

How long did you start noticing this white spot...

I don't see any white spot so far on my CB .... (knock on wood).

Regardz,

J Irwan
If you do a search on Battery Acid you should find some.

Here's one: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36902

The small spots start out looking white but if it's really bad and the acid eats through the paint it looks more black. Look for the vent tube (see pics in link) and check the bumper bolt just behind the vent tube for corrosion. I also had white spots on my garage floor right under the tube.

I have a 2003 and they showed up about a year in but none since the bumper was repainted (dealer couldn't find anything wrong with battery or alternator... big surprise).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.