BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my E39 M5 for around 2 months now, Lemans Blue on Silverstone interior, and it has been fantastic. One thing that I'm not entirely sold on is the black exterior bumper trim that goes around the middle of the exterior of the car. I have ran a number of google searches for E39 M5's that may have paint matched this trim and have come across a few pics here and there. Has anyone on this board done this, and if so what do you feel about doing it again if you had to?

Here is an example of a lemans blue car with the same paint matched trim that I'm talking about. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Mine has it and I love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
I prefer the stock trim too, but it may be just because I saw too many awful looking e36's with paint matched trim. It makes me think it's been wrecked and repainted at some point.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It can go either way. Do what YOU like.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi,

I had my trim painted to color match the car. Important fact to consider is, that it is not ideal to paint over the m5 trims as they were not designed to be painted and made of hard (non-bendable/non elastic plastic). You defenately can paint them but if you try to remove them, you might crack the paint as the plastic is not very bendable, seen this happen to people many times. One solution to this is to buy the oem trim from regular 5 series that come already primed and are designed to be painted (its made of different plastic and has elasticity closer to the paint and will not crack upon removal). But you will have to carefully cut out the inserts for the M5 badge (very simple - did it with a razor knife) on the front doors moldings. It costs a bit more but worth it in my opinion to do it once correctly than have them repainted ever so often.

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide to do!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

I had my trim painted to color match the car. Important fact to consider is, that it is not ideal to paint over the m5 trims as they were not designed to be painted and made of hard (non-bendable/non elastic plastic). You defenately can paint them but if you try to remove them, you might crack the paint as the plastic is not very bendable, seen this happen to people many times. One solution to this is to buy the oem trim from regular 5 series that come already primed and are designed to be painted (its made of different plastic and has elasticity closer to the paint and will not crack upon removal). But you will have to carefully cut out the inserts for the M5 badge (very simple - did it with a razor knife) on the front doors moldings. It costs a bit more but worth it in my opinion to do it once correctly then have them repainted ever so often.

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide to do!!
That is great information to have, and was partly the feedback that I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Personally for me it's always been dependent on what the body color is. In my case it wouldn't make much difference for my car since it's Jet Black and I'd think the same of CB. On TiAg, Silverstone, or AW I've always kind of thought that it makes it look too much like a 530i by making the trim the same color as the body, on those colors I like the dark contrast. I think it probably looks the best on Lemans Blue on the occasions I've seen it. I've seen it look decent on Imola Red as well but I've also seen Imola Red with the trim painted high gloss black like the shadowline trim and I liked that even more. It really comes down to what you like.

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
588 Posts
I prefer the stock trim too, but it may be just because I saw too many awful looking e36's with paint matched trim. It makes me think it's been wrecked and repainted at some point.
Thats my take on it, plus the lower models all had matching trim. Only the M5 had the black trim so I like that distinction.

It can go either way. Do what YOU like.
This.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Personally I don't like it. The mouldings accentuate the E39 body lines and the black gives a nice contrast, making it look sportier and more aggressive. Painting them the same color almost makes it look to me like they are an add-on that was just stuck on or something.

Though I will say some of the cars in this thread do look really good. It seems to work ok on silver

1 - 14 of 14 Posts