BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far gone is too far gone in clear coat? I am looking at an M5 with slight clear coat haze on the hood and door handles. I know that it is difficult to answer with out a visual.

However, I have read that a good detailer can bring back some finishes that are on the brink using the correct products including Opti-Coat Pro.

Any examples of a clear coat salvation that can be shared?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Generally if the clear coat is noticeably gone over a large area then it needs to be stripped and resprayed. Opti-coat is a great product but not a miracle worker

·
Registered
437 Posts
Really need pictures for this one. If it is haze from UV breakdown, which it sounds like, the clear coat can become brittle. If it is hazy from scuffs and scratches, then there is certainly hope. Opti-Coat is only as good as the substrate you place it on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a few of shots of the paint condition. It wasn't easy to get a good representation because of the color of the paint..
DSC02364.JPG

DSC02362.JPG

DSC02361.JPG

·
Registered
437 Posts
That doesn't look good. My guess would be that the hood has been repainted poorly at some point, unless you're finding consistent UV damage across the entire car.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. Sun baked for sure. There are other smaller areas, like the drivers side door handles. The plastic around the front and rear windows is toast. the drivers side window trim (the outside black is faded). The dash is cooked. The rear head rests are split.

Surprisingly enough though, the only real clear coat issues I found are on the hood and door handles. The rest looks OK and would look good again with some attention from a pro detailer.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If appearance is important to you, I would walk away from this one (even being someone who does pro-paint correction).

I have a beater e30 with UV damage on the clear. Believe me, it does not polish/compound/wetsand away.

Between the dash damage, and paint issues, budget a lot of money for a respray. That said, most respray jobs are (to me) not acceptable either, but I am on the picky side.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I still insist on finding someone with a paint thickness gauge to determine the paint status. Major variation in thickness, or thickness greater than 200uM would be highly suspect of a respray and worth more investigation.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Really hard to say...it might come off with the right products but you won't know until you (or a professional detailer) tries. Perhaps hire a detailer to look at the car and render an opinion. Even better, if the seller is willing, have the detailer work on a very small portion of the car and look at the results.

GL

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made the seller an offer yesterday when I looked at the car. Admittedly, it was low. It is on consignment with him so he was going to have to contact the owner. I haven't heard back so I think this done for now....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
UPDATE:
So I had offered the seller $13k. He was asking $17k That was on 7/26. I got a call last night and he says $14k. The car has 80k miles.

Worth pursuing?

·
Registered
437 Posts
How is it mechanically? Clutch, Shocks, Bushings? Right mileage/age for those to need work. I'd stay firm on $13k.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not too bad mechanically. Right rear bushing will need replaced soon. PS lines leaking a little. Clutch felt tight. Suspension was rock solid. All electrics seemed to work.

It has other issues though:
It definitely has issues with sun baked leather dash / headrests. Paint issues as discussed in this thread. Drivers seat has a little wear on the bolster with tiny hole beginning. Tires are sun baked and all need to be replaced. Rims need to be refinished. Front bumper has a substantial crack at the bottom in front of the wheel. BMW badge on trunk is shot. Tool kit isn't complete. The trim around the front and rear windows is completely shot.

I think that is the worst of it....

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
What year? Looks like the color is SG so 2002 or 2003. Assuming that you are getting a good deal, but the car clearly needs some work and I would be worried about general lack of care. Personally I'd spend more for a car without issues, but it all depends what you are looking for. Sounds like you had a PPI done - if not I'd definitely have a professional check the car out. And I'd still ask to try to buff out a small area of the paint damage before purchase.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's the funny thing about this car. It is a one owner vehicle. It was owned by an older fellow who recently passed away. It has records going way back with a reputable shop in Berkeley. It was just parked outside. It was parked so consistently that you can see fading on the shadow line on the drivers side is more than on the passenger side.
The car is a 2001.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
That's the funny thing about this car. It is a one owner vehicle. It was owned by an older fellow who recently passed away. It has records going way back with a reputable shop in Berkeley. It was just parked outside. It was parked so consistently that you can see fading on the shadow line on the drivers side is more than on the passenger side.
The car is a 2001.
Ok, then it is Anthracite (hard to tell from SG in some pictures, particularly if just part of the car). A one-owner car with full records is a rarity these days. Given that I'd jump on it after assessing whether the paint defect can be corrected.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK so now that I have gone completely off track on my own thread....

The guy is firm at 14k. I think I will pull the trigger. BTW, interesting fact. The original owner is (was) a member (Alan A) on this board and the original order / bid / delivery thread still exists here. Found him by unique license plate. It doesn't look he has been on here since 2003.

Found out that he passed on 10/4/2012 from liver disease and cancer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts