BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Has anyone got a process to remove the blemishes from bird poo please? I always clean it off as soon as I see it (i.e. no more than 10 hours) but there's always a mark left even after using lots of different polishes/cutting agents etc. Really disappointed..

Any advice much appreciated

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Have you tried Zymol HD cleanse followed by 3M Imperial Hand Glaze? I've had lots of dark cars covered in poop and it's worked for me.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Ashok's suggestion is spot-on-- I've also been successful with this approach. HD Cleanse and Imperial HG are fantastic products.

For an immediate repair try keeping a plastic liter bottle of club soda with you. If you shake it up good you'll get a nice spray that will wash away the poo. Blot with a waffle-type microfiber cloth. Follow that up with a few sprays of Final Inspection and wipe with an Ultimate Wipe (both Meguiar’s, and both should also be in the trunk/boot).

When you get back to your garage check for damage, and follow Ashok's recommendation.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I picked up the 3m from my local body shop, that's what they use. Check with a good bodyshop or online.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Thanks Ashok - where to buy pls?
I get all my Zymol products from John Drake - another one of these customer focused small businesses that deserve our support:

http://www.johnswax.co.uk/

3M Imperial Hand Glaze is available from your local branch of Brown Brothers (motor parts); try the yellow pages. I know the number of the Harrow branch is 020 84275249 if you can't find one near you.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
As a preventative, I'm not sure if you use sealant or wax on your car, but wax usually tends to do better against bird-bombs.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
As a preventative, I'm not sure if you use sealant or wax on your car, but wax usually tends to do better against bird-bombs.
I keep my beast covered in 3-4 coats of high quality wax for this reason. I promptly remove all deposits with bottled water and towels I carry in the car.

My M has a small area on one of the front fenders my S.A. claims was caused by bird guano. I had their body shop work on it at their expense, as the only time it could have happened is when they had possession. Unfortunately it didn't come out. :grrrr:

Those free car washes before they return your car removes the evidence.

Also keep 3-4 coats of wax on the aluminum side moldings. It turns an ugly mottled brown when exposed to car wash pre-soak or city pollution. After mine were replaced under warranty, BMW issued a service bulletin denying coverage for any future damage.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I keep my beast covered in 3-4 coats of high quality wax for this reason. I promptly remove all deposits with bottled water and towels I carry in the car.

My M has a small area on one of the front fenders my S.A. claims was caused by bird guano. I had their body shop work on it at their expense, as the only time it could have happened is when they had possession. Unfortunately it didn't come out. :grrrr:

Those free car washes before they return your car removes the evidence.

Also keep 3-4 coats of wax on the aluminum side moldings. It turns an ugly mottled brown when exposed to car wash pre-soak or city pollution. After mine were replaced under warranty, BMW issued a service bulletin denying coverage for any future damage.
My SA always writes a big note on the work order, "NO WASH".

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
My SA always writes a big note on the work order, "NO WASH".
I've been trying that, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I haven't decided whether the people reading the work order are a few fries short of a Happy Meal or simply BMW arrogant.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
If those products didnt work it out with any effect, you may have to resort to polishing with a machine (porter cable or rotary) along with some heavy cutting polishes or compound. The clearcote is so soft on these cars, that the acid from the bid doo (esp if they were eating cranberries or such) etches right through it. A heavy compound or polish should take down enough paint to remove the bird soiling wihtout any issue. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I had a poop today, but my wife usually leaves some water in the passenger footwell, so I just grab that (today it was sparkling water) and gently remove the excrement. "Refreshing"

Quite often it leaves a dark mark, but I just wait till the next time I wash the car and then I use the porter cable with some on the sonus SFX pollishes. This seems to work great.

I do still have a bit of a work in progress, I had a bird strike at speed... damn pidgeon ...

it hit my bonnet just on the edge of my clear-bra (which has marked) but as it shot up the bonnet it made a nice hairline scratch most of the way towards the windscreen.

I've pretty much got the scratch out using 3M fast cut pollish, but it has left some fine scratch marks, but after I use some sonus swirl buster, then the SFX pollish it should be perfect again.

This paint is delicate, but I've pretty much managed to get rid of most things. I do tend to use Zaino Z2 as I find it easier to apply and remove than zymol (especially with the porter cable) and it looks stunning, though I must say, nothing beats zymol for the depth it gives.

As Ashok mentions, try to use the Zymol HD Clense, this seems to work best over time. but don't forget to wax it afterwards.

Also a good source for wax, pollish, cloths, brushes etc (but not zymol) in the UK is.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

I recently broke my porter cable so got the Meguiars pollishing machine (just about the same machine) and I use it mainly for buffing of the wax/sealant, so much easier than doing it by hand. Though you will get strange comments from neighbours if they see you...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts