BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I took our first real road trip with the M5. Typically I'll go and take a day trip or what have you, but these darn cars don't instill much confidence, and there is truth behind that.

2.5 hours into our trek to Tahoe, the engine light came on and I limped (with reduced power) all the way to Tahoe. Good times. Parked the car, spent the night, the next day the car was fine. Came home and read the errors, and there is a huge chunk of them. Unfortunately, just this past thursday I had the car smog'd and that required them running the rear wheels without the front ones going which produced a billion errors which are also included in here. I'm still hoping you guys might be able to give me an idea as to what could be the culprit.

Car just turned 70k miles.

(error list attached)

EDIT: I've cleared them all and will wait for them to comeback as a first step. The misfires are the ones that really concern me. The rest I believe are related to smog. I also had one throttle actuator replaced last year, I've been waiting for the other to go, maybe it is time?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Were those pulled with INPA?

There's a lot of info there that INPA gives that ISTA/DIS won't with the two digit code next to the error type. Let me look a few up and I'll post again.

If that's INPA, then that's the general fehlerstatus read so it doesn't give the mileage of each error. If you go into each module (DME, CAS, SMG, etc) individually, it will let you poll the error codes and show the mileage attached. This is useful to see if they all occurred at the same time or separately.

Off the cuff, I would lean towards a voltage problem, especially seeing a CAS and SINE (alarm module) error since 9D12 is low backup battery.

I'll look the others up for more info.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the majority of the voltage codes and dsc codes are from the smog check. The ones I'm concerned about are the misfires and then eventually the engine safe mode.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Since I've probably encountered every problem with this car so far, I'll throw a guess out there without knowing anything about codes: Ionic control module or coil pack. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I've probably encountered every problem with this car so far, I'll throw a guess out there without knowing anything about codes: Ionic control module or coil pack. :)
I kind of thought that too, or maybe fuel pump. The thing I immediately thought was the other throttle actuator, but the fault codes dont match up with that failure, which means I still have that coming at some point in the future.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Just for giggles, I'll throw in a thermostat possibility...
In reference to the Ionic module, have you changes them side to side to see if the misfires moved?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for giggles, I'll throw in a thermostat possibility...
In reference to the Ionic module, have you changes them side to side to see if the misfires moved?
Nope. I think i'll leave all that guess work up to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. The codes presented themselves again.

2b36
2b57

Turn the car off. Turn it right back on and the codes are gone car drives fine. Ideas?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Ok. The codes presented themselves again.

2b36
2b57

Turn the car off. Turn it right back on and the codes are gone car drives fine. Ideas?

2B36: Cylinder 2 misfires.
2B57 and 2796 are limp mode codes caused by 2b36.

First swap ionic units to other side, see if misfire swaps banks.

If not, check spark plug, coil, compression, and injector

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To close this out, took it to the dealer and the ignition coil was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
ionic module is usually limp under full beans (P500 6k plus RPM's) If its your Throttle actuator(s) it will limp to 4500 Rpm and say Something like, "reduce power under acceleration cornering may be affected ect..." your software should tell you what cylinder misfired if it was a misfire. Good luck man hope you resolve this with the least amount of money possible. Just saw Jcolley's post nevermind lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts