BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to set up the ice link without disconnecting the cd changer? also could someone posts pics of the menu display, e.i. if you can choose all the playlists or just he selected 5. i am just curious as to how the menu looks like with the ice link when you want to access the ipod library.

·
Registered
354 Posts
ContractR said:
is it possible to set up the ice link without disconnecting the cd changer? also could someone posts pics of the menu display, e.i. if you can choose all the playlists or just he selected 5. i am just curious as to how the menu looks like with the ice link when you want to access the ipod library.
I'd be happy just to have an extra aux input with the icelink, doesn't have to be the factory changer, but seems no one's able to do that, yet. :(

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
ContractR said:
The iceLink is a direct replacement for the stock CD changer.
The only way to have both would be to have some sort of A/B input switch. Technically possible, but I don't think anyone has done it.

That being said, you COULD have an iPod in the glovebox, and feed the audio into the stereo in the dash via a Sony Cassette adapter. I had that setup for a couple of years. Run the iPod remote out onto the center console, and it's a pretty sweet setup. Only one wire from glove box across console and up into stereo.

I swapped my CD changer for an iPod/icelink a year ago. Haven't missed it a bit! Anything I can hear on disc, I can rip to my iPod.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Why do you need a CD changer if you have an iPod? Just put the songs from the CDs on to your iPod ;)

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Slightly different question. Does anyone have the IceLink Plus? I recently upgraded mine thinking it would be nice to be able to change playlists using the dash buttons. Nice, but that thing's got bugs up the wazoo. At least 2-3 times during any 20 minute driving segment, it will suddenly switch to the radio by itself. The only way to get it back is to turn off the power to the stereo, power on and then hit the mode button. Also, when it starts each new song, there is a "hitch" almost like it's skipping a split second before going on. Sometimes it will repeat the same song. Sometimes it will play 2 or 3 songs from the same album in a row even if it's set to "random." I'd put the old one back in but don't have it anymore.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had the problem with switching to radio with the iceLink Plus on my E46 M3. It was tied to circuit NAV computers, they were working on some beta firmware at the time that apparently corrected some of them but were still collecting data to make sure they fixed them all. Tom at Dension is pretty responsive on e46fanatics.com where they are a sponsor. I'd get in touch with him and let him know the symptoms and find out if they have a beta that is supposed to fix the issues.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
louv said:
The iceLink is a direct replacement for the stock CD changer.
The only way to have both would be to have some sort of A/B input switch. Technically possible, but I don't think anyone has done it.

That being said, you COULD have an iPod in the glovebox, and feed the audio into the stereo in the dash via a Sony Cassette adapter. I had that setup for a couple of years. Run the iPod remote out onto the center console, and it's a pretty sweet setup. Only one wire from glove box across console and up into stereo.

I swapped my CD changer for an iPod/icelink a year ago. Haven't missed it a bit! Anything I can hear on disc, I can rip to my iPod.
i was going to run a similar set up, but just wanted to make sure that there isn't something available right now. i guess not.

·
Registered
354 Posts
ContractR said:
i was going to run a similar set up, but just wanted to make sure that there isn't something available right now. i guess not.
Just spoke to Tom at Dension last night. Apparently, a new Icelink is coming out with an extra aux. input in about 30 days for those M5s built before 2002 needing the aux..

Also talked to a rep from Blitzsafe claiming a lot of things they have aren't on their website however, neither will allow the factory OEM changer to work. Blitzsafe does offer an alpine changer that replaces the OEM keeping the M-bus controls.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi,
I'm thinking of an icelink but am worried about installation / bugs. Can you give the number of this guy at denison? I can't seem to locate a phone number on their website.
Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
toolape said:
Hi,
I'm thinking of an icelink but am worried about installation / bugs. Can you give the number of this guy at denison? I can't seem to locate a phone number on their website.
Thanks.
Here you go, I had a hard time finding it at first as well:

Contact Information

General information and technical support is available Monday - Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. (PST). Product must be registered for technical support.

- Phone: 1-866-822-3673
- Fax: 562-595-5153

·
Registered
512 Posts
Need4Spd said:
At least 2-3 times during any 20 minute driving segment, it will suddenly switch to the radio by itself. The only way to get it back is to turn off the power to the stereo, power on and then hit the mode button. Also, when it starts each new song, there is a "hitch" almost like it's skipping a split second before going on. Sometimes it will repeat the same song. Sometimes it will play 2 or 3 songs from the same album in a row even if it's set to "random." I'd put the old one back in but don't have it anymore.
I also experience these symptoms. I am still waiting for a fix. Also, it seems that the jumping to radio symptom has become more prevalent recently. At first it was 1-3 times a week... now its 1-3 times per drive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an icelink plus and did also experience the random switching to radio thing. It would switch quickly back and forth and restart the icelink, displaying the warning message that one normally sees on startup (not the NAV warning/disclaimer). A firmware upgrade took care of it, it was a series of mp3 files that were really data.

My only real complaint is that with an ipod photo (now ipod with color screen) the font sucks , reminiscent of Win 3.0 w/o scaleable fonts, they have noted this in their known issues. With a monochrome ipod, it's very readable. The text function works well on the MID, but the steering wheel controls can be sluggish, also a known issue. If I'm in a rush to skip songs, just reach over and use the buttons on the side of the NAV display.

Concering the AUX input. I have not tried this but it should be possible. The kit for our cars (DSP) includes the RCA analog/digital converter, which presents an RCA input. In theory, if one obtained a muilt input source switcher, you can hook up an addition line in. cartoys.com as well as logjam have several models. I would think an ipod has to be hooked up to fool the icelink into fooling the cars sound system to remain on CD changer source, and not switch back to radio/cassette.

Ag Surfer said:
I also experience these symptoms. I am still waiting for a fix. Also, it seems that the jumping to radio symptom has become more prevalent recently. At first it was 1-3 times a week... now its 1-3 times per drive.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well I just got the ice w/dsp. I noticed my cd changer has the coax and 3 pin so that means I have to use the DAC???

If So I see all the proper connections on the dac but what is that 12+ volt thingy? I thought power came through the 3 pin connector

I assume I just do 3 pin to 3 pin and coax to the coax on the DAC and the 6 pin to 6pin/rca on the dac

but where does the 12+ end wires go do I need it at all?

Thanks
:M5launch:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Yes, if you have coax and 3 pin connectors only, then you must use the DAC. The coax goes to the coax on the amp (be careful; it's the one way behind the nav unit, not the one on the silver box near the tail lights). The 3 pin goes to IceLink.

The 12v connection (and ground) is for the DAC, which is a separate component. The IceLink and iPod get their power from the 3 pin connector.

12v switched power can be obtained from the white wire in the harness above the amp (near the nav unit in the trunk).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts