BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been lots of posts reference various 'coloured stuff' pads. Feelings and experiences seam to be mixed!

With this in mind I've just commissioned a set of Mintex pads with M1144 compound for my standard big disks. They appear to be non stock but the factory can bond any compound you like (as long as its Mintex!) to the back plates.

I specified the M1144 compound because its worked well for me in past road applications, it warms up quickly, doesn't fade, in fact it improves a bit with temperature, isn't too hard on the disks and lasts reasonably well.

I guess some committed track mania would eventually kill them off but fitting a harder pad just isn't sensible for daily driving. Tried it once and scare myself stupid in a multistorey car park.....that moment of panic when you reach the bottom of the ramp with cold brakes!!

Questmead are talking about £75 with a 2-3 week delivery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The OEM pads are available from GSF, I think I paid about £27 plus the VAT. No BMW stamp on the backing material but otherwise identical. They are special order and the gent who served me (having initially provided me with the wrong 'standard' pads) reckoned they had only only sold one set in the last couple of years!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've asked at GSF before, the bloke behind the counter said they don't sell pads or discs for our 345mm brakes. Monkey.

Dom, can you give us the GSF P/No?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Andy,

Further to my last post. The GSF part number for the 'big brake' pads is B64039. I paid 26.50 plus the VAT, though I think this may be the price of the earlier pads originally supplied in error. Definitely the same pad, you should see the state of my alloys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts