BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How different is P500 vs. P500S? For those of you lucky enough to have driven your car for a while , which do prefer for everyday driving? Anyone who answers P400 is disqualified mmmmmm

-David

·
Registered
24 Posts
P500 feels like the sport button you get on the E46 M3. Not sure why the Power button wasn't just configured this way to start with as P500 sport is only available via the M mode set-up. Very annoying as sometimes you just want the full power monty but without all the other bells and whistles. However having said that a simple press of the M button does it all but you can't select S6 unless you completely dis-engage traction control. Again why no M mode traction with S6? apart from when you want LC.

The technology is great but I am beginning to see the flaws in the configuration. I'm sure someone out there probably has a computer program to change things to a more sensible configuration?

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Sport can be engaged by the button on the middle console. Also, S6 is only avail. without DSC since I think it shifts to "harshly" so if the DSC should be activated there would be non need for the gears to be switchedthat fast, since they would be prevented to slip by the DSC anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
S6 would have been nice in combination with relaxed mode dsc, so you wouldn't have to kill yourself if you want to shift fast (with dsc completely off) ;-)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
A problem seems to be that there is only a single M-mode setting. You seem to have the choice of default mode (P400, full DSC, soft, etc.), M-mode (usually reserved for the fastest/harshest settings), or playing chords with all of the buttons and iDrive menus. There should be at least two M modes, and then they could eliminate a bunch of buttons.

Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
bernhtp said:
A problem seems to be that there is only a single M-mode setting. You seem to have the choice of default mode (P400, full DSC, soft, etc.), M-mode (usually reserved for the fastest/harshest settings), or playing chords with all of the buttons and iDrive menus. There should be at least two M modes, and then they could eliminate a bunch of buttons.

Tom
Tom, are you guys in the US getting the manual M5? If so then I suspect that will rectify a lot of the issues of poor configuration it sounds like we're all agreed on

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
That we have: MDM mode (M Dynamic Mode)a as on the M3 CSL :15:

ganzbaf said:
S6 would have been nice in combination with relaxed mode dsc, so you wouldn't have to kill yourself if you want to shift fast (with dsc completely off) ;-)

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
That is a valid point. I had programmed the M Mode button to have MDM mode ON ("DSC light"-version, diet DSC hehe) and then Koenigsegg Sales Manager Patrik changed the pre programemd M mode button to DSC completely off. That resulted in when I took the car for a spin with Ashok after the carwash a HUGE powerslide :hihi: I thought MDM was on, but it was off. :M5launch:

Two settings would have been good, sicnce the M Mode always tend to be all out with S6, P500S and DSC off of course.

bernhtp said:

Tom

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think Ferrari's little "Manettino" switch on the F430 is excellent in it's application and balance between soft/sport settings and progressively less intrusive TC/SC programs... Perhaps BMW should have come up with something similar rather than a series of convoluted button combo's/all or nothing settings...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts