BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why do people use P400 for? I have never used it once since I bought the car. The only time I have turned DSC/etc to full "on" is when I was driving in the pouring rain, or on slippery surfaces.

I have also read that several people have said that the gas mileage between p400 and p500 is negligible.

I don't understand why BMW would purposely handicap such a fine car? I watched a video in which the owner? of m5boards interviewed some guy from BMW and he said the new M5 would have the same p400 on it.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
As funny as this may sound, but fuel consumption in P400 is much much better than P500. I hate filling up regularly... the M5 has a small tank!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As funny as this may sound, but fuel consumption in P400 is much much better than P500. I hate filling up regularly... the M5 has a small tank!
Is there really that big of a difference? (assuming same driving conditions/etc)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Cliffs notes: There is no difference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
From my experience using P400 vs P500, P400 has appox 5% better fuel consumption. Also, P400 has smoother shifting so when my wife and kids are in the car with me, I will use P400.

·
Registered
831 Posts
In the rain and snow I used to keep it in P400. Otherwise it's P500S.
I liked the versatility of changing when I want...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From my experience using P400 vs P500, P400 has appox 5% better fuel consumption. Also, P400 has smoother shifting so when my wife and kids are in the car with me, I will use P400.
I'm in So Cal as well and mine is an '08....so basically we got the same car. I will give P400 a shot for one week (this is going to be VERY hard) and report back my findings.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
P500 = me; P400 = everyone else who sits in my car
Sometimes wish there was an option to make P500 the default but then P400 would not be for everyone else who sits in my car so maybe not. :)

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
My wife uses P400 - only because she doesn't really want to hit the M button and fly around town

I always use P500 Sport

In the rain........In the snow

Don't matter

As far as gas mileage - I didn't buy the car to save money filling up the tank

P400 is lame

If I wanted it to have 400 Hp - I would have just bought a 550i and modded it..

BMW doesn't need to put a button on the car - ///M5 owners know what they are getting themselves into when they buy a car like this.

·
Registered
310 Posts
To see what cars it can keep up with without need to resort to P500 or above lol :cool2:

And small narrow carparks / parallel parking etc etc ....

·
Registered
323 Posts
this just reminds me... I set the m button to p400 on friday when i took the m6 to the stealers for a service and i've forgotten to change it back. Damn, i even took a friend I hadn't seen since buying the car for a ride to show him how fast it was.

Well he was impressed enough to say he wanted one, but now i'll have to do it all again in p500s :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
As a child, I always fantasized about having the ability to make my car faster with the push of a button.
BMW answered my prayers.

I think P400 is just another "personality setting" for the M5. When you think about it, playing with all the shift settings, the damper settings and the stability control, it throws one more factor in to change the vehicle's behavior. I enjoy the quiet and effortless relaxed settings of P400 on occassion, such as as traffic after a long day at work or my own exhaustion etc. It's a great feeling to know that my humble and smooth driving sedan can become a beast with the push of a button.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts