BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I am a new member of the board and new owner of a BMW. So far I'm lovin it and can already see I am probably going to want to move from my 07 to an 08 in 2011!!

Real question, what gives the added 100 HP from P400 to P500? I have searched here and have not found anyone else ask that question. Somewhere along my research before I bought my M6 someone said it went from 8 to 10 cylinders. If I were to guess I would say it's electronic.

Does anyone have the tech behind the 400-500HP? Also, 500 Sport, shifting pattern?

Thanks all, now to find the best spot to get new rear tires...

·
Registered
182 Posts
No expert on this, but I would imagine that in P500 mode, the ecu switches to a more aggressive map with more timing advance and more fuel being added. As for the difference between p500 and p500 Sport, it's probably just a more aggressive profile for the drive by wire, basically, tells the throttle bodies to open faster given the same gas pedal input.

·
Registered
104 Posts
P500 sport is DSC off right?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hey folks, I am a new member of the board and new owner of a BMW. So far I'm lovin it and can already see I am probably going to want to move from my 07 to an 08 in 2011!!
Is this because of wanting to have a vehicle still in warranty or would you really go through the hassle (and loss of money) to change vehicles for updated headlights, tail lights and boot lid?

Real question, what gives the added 100 HP from P400 to P500? I have searched here and have not found anyone else ask that question. Somewhere along my research before I bought my M6 someone said it went from 8 to 10 cylinders. If I were to guess I would say it's electronic.

Does anyone have the tech behind the 400-500HP? Also, 500 Sport, shifting pattern?

Thanks all, now to find the best spot to get new rear tires...
P400/P500/P500 Sport are all fuel delivery related. As I've heard it, P500 is probably the closest to linear, meaning 50% accelerator realizes approximately 50% gas. P400 and P500S are on either side of that where P500S increases pedal to fuel ratio and P400 shorts it.

P500 Sport does not adjust the shift pattern -- it's all throttle position / fuel delivery adjustment (improved response at tip in.) P500S may feel quicker but the bottom line is that you can move the pedal more in P500 and create the same end result.

Try a launch with both P500 and P500 Sport with DSC off and you will see that it's much more difficult to modulate the pedal into the optimal position with P500 Sport. I'd rather have more control and a more linear fuel delivery ratio to my throttle position so P500 is my preference. If I want the extra juice, I'm a big boy with a strong ankle so I can handle the extra-needed throttle push. :)

-b.

Reactions: InHotH2O

·
Registered
182 Posts
P500 Sport does not necessarily mean DSC is off, but it is only available by mapping it to the "M" button on the steering wheel through the idrive settings. If you just push the power button on the shifter console, you get p500.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
P500 Sport does not necessarily mean DSC is off, but it is only available by mapping it to the "M" button on the steering wheel through the idrive settings. If you just push the power button on the shifter console, you get p500.
I'm aware of this but who launches with DSC on? If that's the case, might as well put it in D too.

-b.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Sorry, my response was meant for Nick's M6.
Yea -- looks like his reply came in before mine and my screen wasn't updated. I would LOVE a threaded style reply here so there was never any question in situations like that. ;)

-b.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
And to be absolutely clear, P400 does NOT operate on 8 of the 10 cylinders.

It's not a bad question (quite logical in fact) and it has been asked by new owners before. If BMW did some sort of cylinder disabling (like the "eco drive" on a Honda van) the MPG would no doubt be better in that mode. But as owners will tell you, P400 does not improve mileage unless you drive at WOT in P500 all of the time!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
What suprises me the most is that BMW didn't use the cylinder disabling function on P400. It works real nice Chryslers 300C Hemi , where it is impossible to feel when 4 cylinders of 8 go out and when they hook again. The fuel consumption difference is huge, so I could only imagine how much one would save on a daily commute through town , with lots of traffic in an M5 or M6 , with S85. Technology itself is not very complex. I would only worry on the uneven carbon deposits on the cylinder walls , which might cause a problem after 100.000k+ miles/kilometers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
And to be absolutely clear, P400 does NOT operate on 8 of the 10 cylinders.

It's not a bad question (quite logical in fact) and it has been asked by new owners before. If BMW did some sort of cylinder disabling (like the "eco drive" on a Honda van) the MPG would no doubt be better in that mode. But as owners will tell you, P400 does not improve mileage unless you drive at WOT in P500 all of the time!!!
what does WOT mean?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
what does WOT mean?
"Wide Open Throttle" in most cases but when Mark is posting it, it could also mean "Way Out There".

:haha:

-b.

·
8,369 Posts
BMW is not the sharing kind of guy when it comes to the technology on their M cars.
So all the posts here about this subject are most likely just our educated guess.

On the P400 mode - only 2 cylinders are firing. P500S - all 10 cylinders are firing + Efficient Dynamics Technoolgy : ) JK!

My guess is - BMW didint opt for cylinder disabling because the main idea behind disabling cylinders is to save gas.
As you know, M cars are not famous for being gas saving cars.

·
8,369 Posts
And the best place to get new tires is Tire Rack.

And make sure you find a local high end tire installer that will not damage or scratch your rims.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Here, this should clarify everything LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Throttle bodies only open up 90% is what I have been told...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trade up would be 2 fold.

1. Yes the maintenance and warranty are concerns but I can purchase extended plans. I also would like to have a model with lower miles than I currently have as I can see I am going to drive this car a lot more than my last. (I am selling my 1994 Mitsu 3000GT VR-4 which only has 77k on it)

2. Mine does not have HUD, HD Radio or Sat radio. If I could, Soft close would be nice too.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Trade up would be 2 fold.

1. Yes the maintenance and warranty are concerns but I can purchase extended plans. I also would like to have a model with lower miles than I currently have as I can see I am going to drive this car a lot more than my last. (I am selling my 1994 Mitsu 3000GT VR-4 which only has 77k on it)

2. Mine does not have HUD, HD Radio or Sat radio. If I could, Soft close would be nice too.
reply to wrong thread maybe? lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts