BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new to the forum. Got a question maybe some of you could help me out.

When i first start the car it's in P400 and when i set in the m drive to P500 is that means it will only engage when I press the M mode?

Also there is S5 & S6 i don't know what that is ? Can some one explain it?

Thanks. Appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi

I am new to the forum. Got a question maybe some of you could help me out.

When i first start the car it's in P400 and when i set in the m drive to P500 is that means it will only engage when I press the M mode?

Also there is S5 & S6 i don't know what that is ? Can some one explain it?

Thanks. Appreciate all the help.
If you press the Power button it will also engage the P500 mode. But the only way to do P500 Sport (sharper throttle map, but same power) is through a setting in the M-Drive and the M button.

S1 to S6 are clutch engagement settings in the manual mode, they are adjusted by the little switch just lower from the SMG stick. You can read your current setting as the number of bars in the instrument display under your gear number indicator. To be precise, it doesn't set how fast the clutch closes or opens (that always happens at the same speed to reduce clutch wear), instead it changes how long the clutch stays open while you shift - this is also a dependent of the rpm (and also your throttle position - but not sure of that one). S1 keeps the clutch disengaged the longest, and S6 just opens and closes it as fast as it can while changing a gear.

I usually never use less then S3.
S6 can only be engaged when DSC is off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you press the Power button it will also engage the P500 mode. But the only way to do P500 Sport (sharper throttle map, but same power) is through a setting in the M-Drive and the M button.

S1 to S6 are clutch engagement settings in the manual mode, they are adjusted by the little switch just lower from the SMG stick. You can read your current setting as the number of bars in the instrument display under your gear number indicator. To be precise, it doesn't set how fast the clutch closes or opens (that always happens at the same speed to reduce clutch wear), instead it changes how long the clutch stays open while you shift - this is also a dependent of the rpm (and also your throttle position - but not sure of that one). S1 keeps the clutch disengaged the longest, and S6 just opens and closes it as fast as it can while changing a gear.

I usually never use less then S3.
S6 can only be engaged when DSC is off.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't try P500S I am gonna try that out.
I have been driving with S3 the whole time. Do you know what's the best setting for auto mode?

Thanks for your help once again. I am gonna try the S6 which i hvn't try before. I only had the car for 1 mth so far.

Love it. only downside is Gas Millege.

I came from a 2008 335.

Love BMW:wroom:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I haven't try P500S I am gonna try that out.
I have been driving with S3 the whole time. Do you know what's the best setting for auto mode?

Thanks for your help once again. I am gonna try the S6 which i hvn't try before. I only had the car for 1 mth so far.

Love it. only downside is Gas Millege.

I came from a 2008 335.

Love BMW:wroom:
It all depends on what you prefer for auto mode - you choose what you like best. I never drive in auto, but if I had to, it would be in D4 or D5.

I would also recommend reading the manual for your car. If you don't have it, BMW has the pdf on the website.

Congrats on the M5. Where are you from?

·
Registered
31 Posts
In auto mode, D1 through D5 also controls shift point RPM. D1 gets into the highest gears quickly and keeps the rpms low. Probably the best for gas mileage, but makes your car about as fun to drive as a Lincoln Town Car. D3 seems like a reasonable compromise for just tooling around in no brain mode. D5 is a bit sportier still.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My 2008 has the SMG and a Power button. Can you set your P400/P500 preference through iDrive?
I can set it in the iDrive under the M-Drive menu, for P400, P500, or P500 Sport. But I believe that is only for when the M mode is activated.

I'll have to look around in the iDrive to see if you can set a default P500 setting. I don't believe so because I am pretty sure I would have seen it before.

If you have it with SMG then maybe it's only available with SMG.

I do have the MDM and EDC buttons.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In auto mode, D1 through D5 also controls shift point RPM. D1 gets into the highest gears quickly and keeps the rpms low. Probably the best for gas mileage, but makes your car about as fun to drive as a Lincoln Town Car. D3 seems like a reasonable compromise for just tooling around in no brain mode. D5 is a bit sportier still.
I have been trying to drive on D1 definately the shift feels alot smoother.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts