BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beast has 275/35/18 Nexen POS tires all around. I assumed the previous owner bought himself a pair of rears to get a square setup but it appears I was wrong. Today I was replacing the front shocks and I noticed the front wheels are unfortunately 18x8.

What are the ramifications of putting a 275 tire on an 8inch wheel? I don't notice any uneven wear on the front tires nor has there been any problems with fitment. I can't speak to the handling of the car because it's had blown shocks and bushings since I've owned it. I've replaced most of the bushings and will have brand new Konis all around by the end of this weekend. I plan on putting a decent set of tires after I burn through these Nexens and I'll be sure to use the proper size up front.

The crappy thing is I've actually got 4 18x9.5 wheels but one of them is horribly damaged. 5 or 6 weld spots from the previous owner having it repaired, and two or three fresh cracks. It would be nice to get it repaired/replaced so I can actually run a square setup.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
275 on 8" rim is simply unsafe for any sprinted driving. Please be careful as the tire could come of the rim at higher speeds especially around corners under high g's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Asb9987

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Too wide for an 8" and can become unbeaded as Paul88 stated. I'd get that fixed ASAP if you drive the car hard. The fact it has Nexens should have been a warning from the get go... It must also turn like a truck. That sidewall must be more bubbly than Roseanne.

And get that fourth wheel replaced. A wheel with that many crack welds and even more cracks showing is simply unsafe. A dangerous blowout isn't worth the risk over a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
That's way too big for an 8 inch rim. Even 275's on my 9 inch rims look big and I'm right at the size limit.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
would you enter a 100 meter sprint with cleats 3 sizes too large? /thread

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Too wide for an 8" and can become unbeaded as Paul88 stated. I'd get that fixed ASAP if you drive the car hard. The fact it has Nexens should have been a warning from the get go... It must also turn like a truck. That sidewall must be more bubbly than Roseanne.

And get that fourth wheel replaced. A wheel with that many crack welds and even more cracks showing is simply unsafe. A dangerous blowout isn't worth the risk over a couple hundred bucks.
I did replace the bum wheel. I bought a set of rears... so now I have 3 good 9.5 inches, one completely damaged 9.5 inch, and two 8 inches :(

Now I'm in the market for another rear wheel so I can actually run a square setup. Where does one find one used E39 wheel?

I can't believe the P.O. actually got a tire shop to mount these fricken tires on here.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I did replace the bum wheel. I bought a set of rears... so now I have 3 good 9.5 inches, one completely damaged 9.5 inch, and two 8 inches :(

Now I'm in the market for another rear wheel so I can actually run a square setup. Where does one find one used E39 wheel?

I can't believe the P.O. actually got a tire shop to mount these fricken tires on here.
If you can find 1 rear great. They will come up from time to time.

If you can afford to, send all the wheels out to be refinished so they all look the same. I would use the bad wheel as an emergency spare, put one of the old tires on it, and get some good tires for you car. Most of us like the Mich PSS, outstanding tire for the $$$$. It will make a world of difference in how the car drives.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and FYI I am not driving the car hard at the moment. It's had very poor handling since I took it away from it's amazing previous owner. I am DDing it to work every day though, but it's 95% straight highway driving so I'm more or less just cruising.

This is a bummer, I should have known the neglectful P.O. wasn't smart enough to buy a set of rears and make it square. More work for me.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
In SCCA stock class autocross, you can't change wheel widths, so this is a common setup to use 275s all around to balance out the understeer. Member jcp907, Jay, has been running 275/35 BFG Rivals all around on stock 8/9.5 wheels this season and doing fantastically. He's experienced dramatically less front edge wear. The 275 is definitely pinched, but so far the Rivals are doing great on his car. Here's his thread about the experience. Note the sidewalls on the BFG Rival are super stiff.

FWIW, my autox wheels for my E90 M3 are stock widths which are 8.5F/9.5R, and I'm running 275/35 BFG Rivals all around with excellent results. It's not ideal, nor is the 8" that Jay is forced to run, but it's working great. Edge wear on the M3 is very low, but that car can get -1.5 degree front camber which is a lot more than a stock E39 M5.

Regards,
Chuck

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
In SCCA stock class autocross, you can't change wheel widths, so this is a common setup to use 275s all around to balance out the understeer. Member jcp907, Jay, has been running 275/35 BFG Rivals all around on stock 8/9.5 wheels this season and doing fantastically. He's experienced dramatically less front edge wear. The 275 is definitely pinched, but so far the Rivals are doing great on his car. Here's his thread about the experience. Note the sidewalls on the BFG Rival are super stiff.

FWIW, my autox wheels for my E90 M3 are stock widths which are 8.5F/9.5R, and I'm running 275/35 BFG Rivals all around with excellent results. It's not ideal, nor is the 8" that Jay is forced to run, but it's working great. Edge wear on the M3 is very low, but that car can get -1.5 degree front camber which is a lot more than a stock E39 M5.

Regards,
Chuck

Rivals do have much stiffer sidewall but I wold never run 275 with a soft wall like Michelins super sports or many others. To me that's just asking for trouble, and I was concerned with a 255/40/18 on my 8" rim.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or Nexens =P

Thanks for all the info guys. I think ideally I'd find a good rear wheel so I can run a proper square setup with some real tires.

For now I'm going to continue to cruise the car to work. Worst case scenario I can't find a wheel before it's time to switch tires and I'll just go to a proper staggered setup. Would really be nice to go squared especially since I already have 4 rear wheels, well, 3 I guess.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the bright side I just got an alignment after replacing the shocks. Replaced most bushings front and rear as well.

Car handles beautifully. I'm sure it would handle much better if the tires werent genuine pieces of ****. Baby steps...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lol at the comments of it coming off the bead. Clearly these ppl don't know what they are taking about. They sound like one of those 'squares' where if it isn't recommended it will magically fall apart.

Yes, it's not recommended and it will have adverse handling effects but auto crossers and dragsters have been doing it for decades, it's not something id personally recommend for the street, but it also isn't going to make his car crash into a poll or explode. As proven by CBS and anyone else who isn't talking out of their ***.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts