BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
A couple of shots of my 2001 E39 525i/5 in Topaz Blue Metallic. I plan to do some cosmetic changes come spring, but I just ordered the Hella Eurospec Xenon lights, which I'm stoked to be adding to the car. Enjoy!

IMG_5132.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

IMG_0696 2.JPG

IMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4637.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
What's good everyone.
Brand new to this site and the new owner of a 2003 525i touring M-Sports E39 Ltd.
Ordered from Japan and awaiting delivery. I've got a lot to learn and so looking forward to it. From some of the things I've learnt off this site so far, I'd appreciate some feedback on whether I've got a true M-Sport (M5) - don't even really know if there's a difference - .
Let me know what ya'll think

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
What's good everyone.
Brand new to this site and the new owner of a 2003 525i touring M-Sports E39 Ltd.
Ordered from Japan and awaiting delivery. I've got a lot to learn and so looking forward to it. From some of the things I've learnt off this site so far, I'd appreciate some feedback on whether I've got a true M-Sport (M5) - don't even really know if there's a difference - .
Very nice! A true M Sport would be the 525iT M sport, not an M5. The M5 comes only in a sedan with a 6-speed manual gearbox, with a 4.9L V8. From the looks of it, this is an M sport. You can check the VIN and get a build sheet at bmwarchive.com. Only thing I see that's different is the M badge, but a previous owner probably put that on.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok Kool, thanks a lot for the info. Will be checking it as soon my car arrives. Funny enough, the website I purchased the car through has a "car check" feature, and when I looked at the pictures again, there was no M emblem. When I contacted the seller about it, he stated that those M/// badges are easily stolen. LOL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok Kool, thanks a lot for the info. Will be checking it as soon my car arrives. Funny enough, the website I purchased the car through has a "car check" feature, and when I looked at the pictures again, there was no M emblem. When I contacted the seller about it, he stated that those M/// badges are easily stolen. LOL.
No problem!

·
Registered
974 Posts
What's good everyone.
The seats look suede like. Awesome!

You should polish those headlights, they look foggy in the photos. Your car will stand out more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The seats are suede and totally kickass... funny enough, I finally got the car and am looking to buy the chemical to polish the headlights as they look actually worse in person... any thoughts on which chemical to use????
Thanks... much appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The seats are suede and totally kickass... funny enough, I finally got the car and am looking to buy the chemical to polish the headlights as they look actually worse in person... any thoughts on which chemical to use????
I recommend buying the Turtle Wax headlight restoration kit. The sanding pads really help remove the haze. The sealer doesn't last too long, so I would recommend also looking for a decent headlight sealer to keep them from hazing over again. The 3M kit is also pretty good.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If you don't want to work too hard:

3M Headlight Restoration Kit - Walmart.com

It has everything you need minus the sealant. I've used it and the results are quite good.

---

If you want your headlights brand new:

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Headlight polishing DIY... (yeah, another one, 56K beware!)

This is a lot of work. I did two cars like this in my bath tub. They came out so dang good. It's worth the time.

---

To seal:

Optimum Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating, headlight coatings protectants

^ Very easy. Just apply, let it haze, wipe off. Done.

or

XPEL Headlight Protection Kit, Xpel headlight film, x-pel headlight protection film

^ You need a heat gun. It's a bit tricky on round corners. Good protection against road debris.

---

I have used all of this stuff. I always research before purchasing anything. Good luck :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks a whole lot man. Gonna start lookin into getting one them products and do it myself. Here's what the car looks like since I got it.
Trust me, the headlights look alot worse. Plus, the rims need work, its got some rust on it. The CD players doesnt work, despite the seller saying it did(big disappointment there, was really looking forward to 6CD rotation). Among other things.
So, I Gotta get to work.
Hey, feel free give some info on how get the CD player either fixed or replaced.
Thanks again.
Cheers

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thanks a whole lot man. Gonna start lookin into getting one them products and do it myself. Here's what the car looks like since I got it.
Trust me, the headlights look alot worse. Plus, the rims need work, its got some rust on it. The CD players doesnt work, despite the seller saying it did(big disappointment there, was really looking forward to 6CD rotation). Among other things.
So, I Gotta get to work.
Hey, feel free give some info on how get the CD player either fixed or replaced.
Thanks again.
Cheers
If you think the headlights have no remedy, think again. I swear by that DIY from the Bimmerfest Forum. Mine were fogged over badly on my 540i. Oxidization took over as the car gets sun 365 days a year outside. The lights were very rough and night visibility was horrible. I also had some chips and got 99% of them out. A detailer can do this service for you too. You just have to shop for prices if you want to save money.

---

Rim wise, if you want to save those, have them refinished or buy some new ones.

---

I'm assuming your radio works as you didn't mention anything about it. Check your fuses to your cd player first. Here's a thread that may have some info for you:

E39 CD Changer - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

---

In the case that you need some other issues resolved, here's a bunch of links to a few sites:

1. E39 Common Problems and DIY Fixes

2. BMW E39 DIY (Do It Yourself)

3. 5 Series DIY - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

4. https://www.youtube.com/user/E39Source

5. BMW E39 5-Series Technical Articles (1997-2003) - Pelican Parts

6. 5 Series 97-03 ? E39 | Bavarian Autosport Blog

There are many more but these are just a few to get you started. You can save this page to your browser that way you can come back to it quickly without having go through your posts.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts
About this Discussion
75 Replies
47 Participants
Sad7021
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing