BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my carbon black M5 two weeks ago and after going through the owner's manual, I have some questions that I hope you can help me with. I am in Sacramento, CA.

The owner's manual refers to:

1. A warning triangle in the tool kit. I did not receive one.

2. a BMW universal transmitter (garage door opener). There is a tag in the trunk, but no controls in the overhead console. Was this an option?

3. A storage compartment in the center of the front console with a latch. I did not have a phone installed, can this be used as a storage area?

Would also like to know the best method to install a Valentine radar detector. In my 740il I put it on the right side of the mirror using the suction cups. On the M5, it is hard to see there and hard to turn it on and off. On the driver's side, it seems to get in the way. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dave,

1. The triangle is standard issue on European models only.

2. The garage door opener is an option.

3. No. It is a simple armrest that slides forwards and backwards. Until I had the phone installed, almost every passenger tried to pull it up thinking it was a compartment.

I also have a V1 - not hard wired. I use the suction cups to mount it above the left side of the rear view mirror. I let the right bottom corner of the V1 rest on top of the mirror...just remember it is there when you pull down the visor with the sun in your eyes.

Regards and happy pig-evasion,
Sam
'00 E39 M5, Silverstone/Black Exclusive

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sam, for Question 3, he is referring to the little good-for-nothing "storage" right next to the emergency brake and below the armrest.
Where the front console is slanting upwards to meet the armrest.

Daveshig, that is really a "storage" compartment and has nothing to do with the phone installation. You gotta be quite creative to make use of that tiny space though. For me, that's where I keep my tees.

best regards,
BrianC

·
Registered
18 Posts
BrianC, at that spot you're talking about, my car has audio tape holders. Who listen to tape these days? I wish I could have small storage like you so that I can keep my tees there(^.^)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts