BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the last spark plug (5) and I broke the top swivel top off as well as some of the plastic. The electrical components on the coil and cable are fine, but I want to replace the spark plug under it like I did for the other 9 cylinders. How do I take the coil off ? Is there a special wrench bmw makes? I bought a "spark plug wire wrench" today from autozone but it didn't work. Also is it dangerous to drive with 9 new spark plugs and 1 old 1 ?
20200731_181526.jpg

Some more info:
06 m5 s85 v10
138000 miles
Spark plugs are about 20,000 miles old

Thanks in advance for help!

·
2,163 Posts
Let me guess, you tried to pull the coil using the black plastic tab aka 'toilet' seat?

You need to stick your thumb in the connector and twist the coil 90 degrees or more while pulling up. The twisting breaks the seal with the spark plug allowing air between plug and coil thus allowing the coil to go up. Lift the locating 'tab' seen at the 3-4 o'clock in the pic above. It's just rubber so it can flex to allow the coil to rotate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also employed a small pair of vise grips to get a better hold on what was left of the ignition coil top. Good luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You’ll eventually completely break the top portion of the ignition coil.

spray a decent amount of wd40 in there, turn the coil a few times left and right, and wait a few hours. Then try again. Use a paper towel to soak up ALL of wd40 inside of the cylinder.

·
Registered
709 Posts
All good ideas above. And to answer your other question its fine to drive with 9 out of the 10 replaced just not ideal.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm on the last spark plug (5) and I broke the top swivel top off as well as some of the plastic. The electrical components on the coil and cable are fine, but I want to replace the spark plug under it like I did for the other 9 cylinders. How do I take the coil off ? Is there a special wrench bmw makes? I bought a "spark plug wire wrench" today from autozone but it didn't work. Also is it dangerous to drive with 9 new spark plugs and 1 old 1 ? View attachment 941821

Some more info:
06 m5 s85 v10
138000 miles
Spark plugs are about 20,000 miles old

Thanks in advance for help!
Too late for this, but BMW has a special tool for this. Even with the special tool the BMW Mechanics at the dealership broke the last 2 when I had the plus changed there. My indy guy did it with no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts