BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Currently down in the south of France and after flogging my own "engine" cycling around the etape du tour I have been out on the mountains in the m5. I have found that with some pretty spirited driving going up the mountain passes the engine temp is getting to 130. The car has twice informed me that it is too high and asked me to "drive moderately". I would say that the ambient temperature was up to 33C and I was driving pretty hard up steep mountains.

I've never had this happen before and have pushed the beast to its limits off the public road, albeit not in such a hot climate. Should I be concerned about this, as I would have thought it should be capable of dealing with these conditions?

Thanks for any experience,

Steve

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
you will overheat your engine. You need to get the RPi SV1 oil cooler if your going to track, Look into it.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Hi,

Currently down in the south of France and after flogging my own "engine" cycling around the etape du tour I have been out on the mountains in the m5. I have found that with some pretty spirited driving going up the mountain passes the engine temp is getting to 130. The car has twice informed me that it is too high and asked me to "drive moderately". I would say that the ambient temperature was up to 33C and I was driving pretty hard up steep mountains.

I've never had this happen before and have pushed the beast to its limits off the public road, albeit not in such a hot climate. Should I be concerned about this, as I would have thought it should be capable of dealing with these conditions?

Thanks for any experience,

Steve
At 33C the car should not overheat. No matter how hard you are driving.

There can be many reasons for overheating.

1) The coolant level is low. The car has a sensor that warns you if the coolant level is low.
2) The radiator fan is not working properly.
3) The oil cooler is blocked or is not working.

you will overheat your engine. You need to get the RPi SV1 oil cooler if your going to track, Look into it.
The stock oil cooler is pretty good actually. The guys here track and drift their cars at 40C and they don't over heat very easily. In fact, I have only seen them over heat during drifting and even then it would take the car at least 20 minutes of hard drifting to over heat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hasan, good to have some experience from a guy who lives somewhere very hot!

The coolant level is ok and the radiator fan is definitely working (to some extent anyway - it's moving). I need the brake fluid changing when I get home so I will see what the stealer has to say about it then. Hopefully no damage will have been incurred from it, as I backed it off pretty quick as soon as the warnings came up.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Thanks Hasan, good to have some experience from a guy who lives somewhere very hot!

The coolant level is ok and the radiator fan is definitely working (to some extent anyway - it's moving). I need the brake fluid changing when I get home so I will see what the stealer has to say about it then. Hopefully no damage will have been incurred from it, as I backed it off pretty quick as soon as the warnings came up.

Thanks
Steve
Dear Steve

If you ease up immediately and don't push the car while the warning is on, there should be no damage.

I just checked with our M5 gurus here and they have told me that it is most likely a weak water pump or a malfuctioning thermostat. Both are known issues with these cars.

The $tealer should be able to pin point the cause. Please share your findings with us.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
At 33C the car should not overheat. No matter how hard you are driving.
I Agree. I took the car to track for 2 days back to back about 3 weeks ago, and the temperature was above 100°F. I had no issues with over heating.
Get it checked out.
Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow up

Well, the dealer says they can't find any issues. No faults stored either.

They claim that the altitude, rather than the temperature, and driving it hard between hairpin bends could result in it overheating.

I guess I'll just have to accept that but I would have thought the M5 should be able to cope with giving it some on a mountain pass.

Steve

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hills are way different than flat tracks. My Isuzu has a huge custom radiator, stays below factory "normal" temp as long as it is moving in any conditions, except during hillclimbs, those are even short races and it overheats then. Maybe running uphill in thin air puts enough load on the engine that it retards timing, which makes it run hotter. Also, at altitude the air is thinner and heat transfers less efficiently. So probably not a big deal, if you intend to make use of your car mainly in the mountains you may want to upgrade the oil cooler.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys,

I've had my m5 for 3 weeks and 400 miles and I've gotten this message twice with not much hard driving. My oil temp will rise as high as 220-230 and the the warning comes on. It happened once before I had the oil changed and coolant/thermostat changed and now it just happened again. The fan is working, oil cooler doesn't seem blocked.

I'm going to make an appointment again and have it checked out. Could the oil temp sensor be faulty?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dead cold from the garage for 3 days. Started it and pulled it out, turned ac on and let it sit for 10 minutes, message came on again. The fan is not working, so I'm guessing it's that relay in the trunk. Will report back.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
My guess is that the coolant needs to be topped up. It happens sometimes as the cooling system bleeds itself after a flush.

Turn on the heat at full with fan running at full speed and then top up.

I started having this same problem after having my indy do a coolant flush. now in spirited driving my car runs hotter than normal... Just a thought but could this be due to not mixing the antifreeze improperly and adding too much antifreeze instead of water?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts