BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Overheating was bad thermostat

2485 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Machtig
I reported in an earlier thread that the beast experienced overheating and that I got a "check coolant" message. Turns out that the whole thing was caused by a bad thermostat. The car probably wasn't actually overheating, as the coolant had not boiled out the escape valve in the radiator cap even though the temperature guage rapidly climbed into the red. It was merely a false reading. However, fixing this took flying in the parts (thermostat and O rings), a wait of a week to ten days, and $500. These thoroughbred cars can be temperamental and expensive machines, but I guess we knew that when we bought them.
See less
I reported in an earlier thread that the beast experienced overheating and that I got a "check coolant" message. Turns out that the whole thing was caused by a bad thermostat. The car probably wasn't actually overheating, as the coolant had not boiled out the escape valve in the radiator cap even though the temperature guage rapidly climbed into the red. It was merely a false reading. However, fixing this took flying in the parts (thermostat and O rings), a wait of a week to ten days, and...
See more
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
5,413 Posts
How many miles on your car? I think when we post failures of common parts, we should all get in the habit of posting mileage, so that others can know when to expect similar problems, and also if they want to try and head them off by changing parts before they fail. Glad your beast is back to normal. Aloha!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.