BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

What will Clemster run?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
w his supercharged beast at MIR on what looks to be perfect conditions at a historically excellent private rental.

Previous best was a 12.21 w a 1.90 60 ft. From what I hear DR's are planned for this Saturday

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have hope for you Adam! I predict 11.92. With Drag radials, great 60ft time, great track conditions, and a clean shift from 3-4.

James

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
IF he is runnin Drag radials and some go-go fuel, he will go sub-12's. The DR will get him that.
Adam.....I see a winter project in line for you if you use drag radials. I wont say it here...

Ef it Brother, have fun and go whoop some a--. Wish I could be there 11.81 is my prediction

Steve

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Adam,

I believe you've done amazingly well running your existing set up. A couple of pointers when using the Nittos.

Watch the S3 video and see how Harry did his burnouts. Also note how he didn't hold a constant rpm just prior to launch. IIRC he was running 35 psi in the Nitto DRs. When I queried him as to why he ran such a high pressure his answer was that he wanted to be able to shake them loose. He worried about breaking something in the drive train.

Hopefully the weather will improve & Peter and I will be able to hook up with you tomorrow.

--Ray

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Thanks, Matt. Now I won't feel any pressure at all. :eek7:

I won't make too many advance excuses, but....

Air temps will be between 50 + 60 during the day Saturday which is about the same as last time. I was hoping for a blast of chilly air to help me up those trap speeds as my car has proven to be especially sensitive to this. 40's with a stiff tailwind would have been nice.

I have exactly zero experience with DR's and although I am arguably a fast learner, there will be a learning curve. My already savaged OEM clutch will really be put to the test. It has handled all the abuse I can dish out and will be retired to the "Wall of Fame" in the garage once dead. On the other hand, the idea of a ride home on a rollback isn't far fetched. :grinyes:

I don't eat twinkie's, but my wife will bake a batch of lucky cookies that are good for at least a tenth.........slower.

Jeez, I'm freakin' nervous already. I owe you one, Matt.

Ray/Peter, I'll see you guys tomorrow. The Tundra full of Peter's parts will make the trek while the Beast will sit in the garage, contemplating her next move.

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I don't eat twinkie's, but my wife will bake a batch of lucky cookies that are good for at least a tenth.........slower.

are those like special brownies?

·
Registered
5,908 Posts

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Sub 11.99 seconds for sure on DRs.......with a toasted clutch!
This is my goal. lol...

More specifically.....

Have a cookie.

Run 11.92 (ran 12.92 stock)

Drive home afterwards. I have no concerns about installing a new clutch AFTER I get home. 82 miles on a flat bed won't be cheap. And the wife will frown.

Retire and live happily ever after.

:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Matt. Now I won't feel any pressure at all. :eek7:

I won't make too many advance excuses, but....

Air temps will be between 50 + 60 during the day Saturday which is about the same as last time. I was hoping for a blast of chilly air to help me up those trap speeds as my car has proven to be especially sensitive to this. 40's with a stiff tailwind would have been nice.

I have exactly zero experience with DR's and although I am arguably a fast learner, there will be a learning curve. My already savaged OEM clutch will really be put to the test. It has handled all the abuse I can dish out and will be retired to the "Wall of Fame" in the garage once dead. On the other hand, the idea of a ride home on a rollback isn't far fetched. :grinyes:

Jeez, I'm freakin' nervous already. I owe you one, Matt.

Ray/Peter, I'll see you guys tomorrow. The Tundra full of Peter's parts will make the trek while the Beast will sit in the garage, contemplating her next move.
sorry I couldnt resist mmmmmm

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I have exactly zero experience with DR's and although I am arguably a fast learner, there will be a learning curve. My already savaged OEM clutch will really be put to the test. It has handled all the abuse I can dish out and will be retired to the "Wall of Fame" in the garage once dead.
Adam,

Pretty amazing how well the OEM clutch has held up, but as long as you can keep from trying to transfer huge power through it prior to it being hooked up, you may get some more life out of it. I can see how launching with the DRs could toast it since you won't have the mental memory of their grip versus clutch/throttle, but I'm guessing if you practice with them some, you might have a chance to not go home on a flatbed.

I would think that once getting the launch method down, the biggest issue will be the high rpm shifts. At launch rpms, the SC is of little benefit (may actually be putting out less torque due to mechanical and pumping losses), but at high rpms when you are doing 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, you will have major tire grip and huge power output. Something has to give. Thinking about how you handle those shifts will likely determine the life of the OEM clutch this weekend I would think.

Keeping the clutch cool will be a big help to its hook-up-ability, so no back-to-backs, allow plenty of cool-down time, etc.

It's such a nice weekend coming up, I'd love to come up and run with you guys...too many things on tap though to be able to make the trip.

Chuck

Reactions: Clemster

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Sub 11.99 since Adam's car is the fastest color.

Good luck, we're all counting on you!

Reactions: Clemster

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Adam,

Pretty amazing how well the OEM clutch has held up, but as long as you can keep from trying to transfer huge power through it prior to it being hooked up, you may get some more life out of it. I can see how launching with the DRs could toast it since you won't have the mental memory of their grip versus clutch/throttle, but I'm guessing if you practice with them some, you might have a chance to not go home on a flatbed.

I would think that once getting the launch method down, the biggest issue will be the high rpm shifts. At launch rpms, the SC is of little benefit (may actually be putting out less torque due to mechanical and pumping losses), but at high rpms when you are doing 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, you will have major tire grip and huge power output. Something has to give. Thinking about how you handle those shifts will likely determine the life of the OEM clutch this weekend I would think.

Keeping the clutch cool will be a big help to its hook-up-ability, so no back-to-backs, allow plenty of cool-down time, etc.

It's such a nice weekend coming up, I'd love to come up and run with you guys...too many things on tap though to be able to make the trip.

Chuck
Chuck,

Wish you could make it up. We have a blast and some amazing machines are always present.

As far as my clutch goes, if something has to give I'd prefer the clutch to be it. I like the OEM clutch and will just keep feeding them to the Beast until I get tired of changing them.

I don't need to come out of the hole with a side step at 5K. I just need to not spin so badly at the top of 1st and all of 2nd as I do on most passes with the PS2's. I've had a 60' of 1.81 on the Michelins leaving at 2500 or so and don't want or need gorilla launches. Just less spin.

I like your advice about keep the clutch cool and avoid back to back runs for heat soak issues as well. I don't powershift and won't be starting Saturday. That would spell certain *****!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts