BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently bought a s85 with 51k on it for $500. It has a spun bearing. Plan on rebuilding it. The crank is scored and probably not useable unless it was cut and over sized bearings were used. BMW has some options but none I think will be big enough. Anyone know of any aftermarket bearing companies making over sized? I can get a new crank with bearings through bmw for $2200 with our discount but if I can save this crank then that be my best option. Already looked for a used crank and seems they are not existent or are asking more than what I can get a new one for. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
i wouldn't suggest oversized bearing… from what people say is just go with oem ****. I see your in IL I'm right in hoffman estates. and where the hell you find an s85 for $500 lol. Contact Troy jeup he might have a crank for you

·
Registered
386 Posts
i wouldn't suggest oversized bearing… from what people say is just go with oem ****. I see your in IL I'm right in hoffman estates. and where the hell you find an s85 for $500 lol. Contact Troy jeup he might have a crank for you
$500 and it would make a great front yard decoration for that price and I would sell the parts on EBay cheap!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

We are in the crystal lake area. A customer fo ours wanted a new motor put in instead of a rebuild so we got a new motor from bmw and installed it. There was a $500 core charge so be payed for it and kept the long block. Plan on rebuilding and then finding a m5 or m6 with a blown motor.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Those are connecting rod bearings. 52.750mm, 0.25mm oversize. So as long as you don't grind the the rod journals more than 0.00985", you should be fine.

I highly recommend reading up on bearing clearance issues with the S65 and S85. There's a reason the rod bearing in that engine spun. If you're grinding the crank, you have the ability to build an S85 that won't spin another bearing in 75k miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Those are connecting rod bearings. 52.750mm, 0.25mm oversize. So as long as you don't grind the the rod journals more than 0.00985", you should be fine.

I highly recommend reading up on bearing clearance issues with the S65 and S85. There's a reason the rod bearing in that engine spun. If you're grinding the crank, you have the ability to build an S85 that won't spin another bearing in 75k miles.
ONe more issue, when I do a parts locator on those part #'s there are none available in the country or in germany.

I have been reading up on the issue. Issue being there isnt any hard evidence of correct clearance. Some say you should set it to this and somer say to that. I don't want to just take some random guys word for it and have a failure again soo after putting all the money into the rebuild.

T

·
0 Posts
I have many many cranks. You can fix yours most likely. But you need to bring it to the right place, otherwise they will warp the crank when welding the journal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the info. But looking at the thread it seems liek only crank bearings are available oversized through bmw, which is what I found when I looked on etk. We had a rod bearing spun so need rod bearings that are oversized.
hi,

i have just removed my crankshaft, and one rod bearing has spun, whats the best solution for this? if i re machine the crankshaft what rod bearings do i use ?

thanks
for any help

·
Registered
249 Posts
hi,

i have just removed my crankshaft, and one rod bearing has spun, whats the best solution for this? if i re machine the crankshaft what rod bearings do i use ?

thanks
for any help
These oversize bearings are long discontinued. When BMW switched from lead/copper to tin/aluminum bearings, they discontinued the lead/copper oversize bearings and didn't replace them.

If you want to repair your crank, your only choice is to weld or chrome the journal back to factory spec. Be sure to magnaflux the crank at the same time. We had a crank that spun a bearing and looked perfect to the naked eye. When we magnafluxed it, there were dozens, maybe hundreds of micro cracks in the material that the eye couldn't see. So I strongly recommend you magnaflux the crank at the same time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
These oversize bearings are long discontinued. When BMW switched from lead/copper to tin/aluminum bearings, they discontinued the lead/copper oversize bearings and didn't replace them.

If you want to repair your crank, your only choice is to weld or chrome the journal back to factory spec. Be sure to magnaflux the crank at the same time. We had a crank that spun a bearing and looked perfect to the naked eye. When we magnafluxed it, there were dozens, maybe hundreds of micro cracks in the material that the eye couldn't see. So I strongly recommend you magnaflux the crank at the same time.
thanks, now i just have to find someone i can trust that will do the job perfect!

·
Registered
51 Posts

Would you know the factory specs for the journal?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Having problems finding someone that wants to do my crankshaft, anyone i can ship it out to?
I can handle this for you...but here's how it would work.

You send the crank to Van Dyne Engineering in Southern California. They will have it magnafluxed to make sure it's not cracked. If it's OK, then they will most likely want to have the one journal chromed instead of welded. It will all depend on how much damage is on the crank.

Technically you would be working directly with them, but I could make phone calls on your behalf if you like.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can handle this for you...but here's how it would work.

You send the crank to Van Dyne Engineering in Southern California. They will have it magnafluxed to make sure it's not cracked. If it's OK, then they will most likely want to have the one journal chromed instead of welded. It will all depend on how much damage is on the crank.

Technically you would be working directly with them, but I could make phone calls on your behalf if you like.
any idea what the price would be ?

·
Registered
497 Posts
ONe more issue, when I do a parts locator on those part #'s there are none available in the country or in germany.

I have been reading up on the issue. Issue being there isnt any hard evidence of correct clearance. Some say you should set it to this and somer say to that. I don't want to just take some random guys word for it and have a failure again soo after putting all the money into the rebuild.
That is no random guy providing you the information. One of the most knowledgeable people available.

·
Registered
249 Posts
any idea what the price would be ?
I think Magnaflux is about $100, and chroming a journal is about $200 (per journal). I'm mostly guessing, but it's a pretty good educated guess. I don't think the Chrome place is local, so there would be shipping involved for that process.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts